This article exists as part of the online archive for HuffPost Canada, which closed in 2021.

Branden Chailler Pleads Guily To Killing, Mutilating Family Dog Before Crime Rampage (GRAPHIC)


An Edmonton man has admitted to killing and mutilating his family dog last year before going on a hour-long vandalism spree.

Branden Chailler, 18, pleaded guilty in provincial court on Tuesday to charges of unlawfully killing an animal, two counts of mischief, two counts of breaking and entering, and a breach of recognizance.

According to agreed facts, the Dec. 4 incident happened at the home where Chailler lived with his mother and their pug-Shih Tzu cross, Ben.

Chailler's mother was in her bedroom when she heard noises coming from the kitchen shortly after midnight. When she came into the kitchen, she saw blood on the floor. She heard her son say ". . . you made me do this, I liked my dog . . . now my mom is up," reports The Edmonton Sun.

The statement of facts said Chailler had slit Ben's throat and abdomen with a kitchen knife in his bedroom.

"Blood was found all over the bedroom where the dog was killed," the statement said.

Chailler, with a hammer in hand, yelled at his mother to return to her room. According to the Edmonton Journal, she locked herself in her bedroom and called police.

Police arrived about 15 minutes later to find Ben dead, while Chailler had fled the house on foot.

According to the Sun, court heard Chailler went on a rampage with the hammer before leaving the house, smashing a mirror, coffee table and large TV, as well as smashing several holes in the walls.

The Journal reports he also spread the dog's blood through the house, leaving sprays of blood in the bathroom, living room, front entrance and the front door.

Chailler's crime spree continued after leaving home. He broke into an elementary school, smashing windows and a mirror, took out a window at a local RV business and broke into several cars to smear blood and pink antifreeze, reports the Sun.

Additionally, he broke into a garage and left cryptic messages on the wall in black marker, including the words "black and white, do your game, call me insane."

Police eventually caught up with Chailler on Anthony Henday Drive, near Yellowhead Trail, around 3:45 a.m., where he was running in and out of traffic. He was intoxicated and spitting at police officers, yelling and describing in graphic detail how he had killed the dog, until they put a mask on him.

According to the Sun, Challier's mother and friend had concerns about his mental state around the time of the killing.

He will return to court for sentencing May 23.

Also on HuffPost


Suggest a correction
This article exists as part of the online archive for HuffPost Canada. Certain site features have been disabled. If you have questions or concerns, please check our FAQ or contact