HuffPost Canada closed in 2021 and this site is maintained as an online archive. If you have questions or concerns, please check our FAQ or contact support@huffpost.com.

150 birthday

I didn't want to, I HAD to. I had to educate myself so that I could honour my mother's humanity. I informed my mother of every episode along my path of discovery. Her eyes lit up with my stories of cultural awareness. I educated her in many ways. Her humanity became my raison d'être.
This year marks 150 years since the colonies of Canada, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick formed the Canadian Confederation on July 1, 1867. And, while that day has always been a major time for Canuck pride, who would turn down an extra reason to celebrate?
An immigrant from India, I arrived in Canada in May 1968. Canada is my chosen home. It is not perfect. No country is. But it is more perfect than most. For me, Canada 150 is about making Canada, in the years ahead, an even more perfect confederation - a more just, egalitarian, prosperous and inclusive society.
Canada celebrates its 150th birthday.
Ottawa is in the process of changing up the nice, proper-but-a-tad-stiff image it has rocked since I visited as a child. Most people visit Ottawa on their grade ten school trip and never look back; I returned over the years because I have family there. What I found on last weekend's visit made me want to go back for more.
What do you think of it, though?
Many young Canadian designers are outraged that the federal government has asked them to work for free.
The Canadian government's proposed logos for the nation's 150th birthday in 2017 have received some pretty scathing reviews