Father John Bakas
-Ordained to Diaconate on March 7, 1976
-Ordained to The Priesthood on January 21,1979
-Has served the following parishes:
1. St. George, Albuquerque, New Mexico
2. Annunciation, Modesto, Ca.
3. St. George, Fresno, Ca.
4. Co-Founder and First Director of St. Nicolas Ranch Retreat Center
5. Founder, St. Basil Parish in Modesto, Ca.
6. St. John, Las Vegas, Nev.
7. Priest and Spiritual Director of The Virgin Mary Convent, Dunlap.Ca.
8. Currently Dean of Saint Sophia Cathedral of Los Angeles, Ca.
Father Bakas is Founder of the Diocesan Camp AGAPE, “Kids N’ Cancer” program for disadvantaged children with cancer. Has taught at the University of New Mexico and at Cal State University Stanslaus, and has also served as Chaplain and President of The Valley Children’s Hospital Foundation in Fresno, Ca.
In addition, Father Bakas is:
Founder of the Rotary House Children’s Hospice in Fresno, Ca.
Founder, Project Nino, Mexico- Offering free medical care for poor children in Mexico.
Founder, Byzantine-Latino Quarter of Los Angeles-inner city redevelopment program
Part-time faculty member – Loyola Marymount University
Father Bakas’ educational background includes:
M.A. Equivalent, Holy Cross Seminary Program, Priest with Lay Profession
M.A. Philosophy, University of New Mexico
Master of Divinity, Loyola Marymount University