"So I'm living it all, yes I'm living it all, and I'm giving it all, and I'm giving it all." -Brian May, Queen
People often ask me about my strap line aka my mantra:
Live. Learn. Lead.
For me it sums up my philosophy of life in three simple words. I use these as a review of every day... I give it my all.
What does living fully mean to you? How do you define it? Do you even think about it while putting one foot in front of the other?
We are all busy and awareness of how we are living is a key part of making sure we are getting the most out of this once in a lifetime experience.
- What have you done?
- What have you tried?
- Where have you lived?
- What do you like?
- What don't you like?
- When do you feel most alive?
- Are you living in the moment?
- What does that feel like?
- Who do you love?
- How often are you aware of this energy?
- Do you change things, which aren't working for you?
Are you learning something new everyday? Every little thing counts. Formal learning is great, but, so is learning from your friends, neighbours, books, podcasts, TV shows, movies, music, TED talks, Social Media friends.... everything, all day has the potential to be a learning experience.
- Are you interested?
- Are you curious?
- Do you ask "why"
- Do you ask "why not"
- Do you ask "what if"
- Do you challenge the status quo?
- Do you learn from history and anticipate the future?
- Do you learn from those younger than you?
- What else would you like to learn?
- What do you have a burning desire to know?
- How will you do it?
By leadership I'm talking about both formal and informal leadership. Often when someone says Leader we think of corporate, community or political leaders whom are hired, elected or appointed. More important is the day-to-day "leadership in the moment" where we can be leaders making a difference everyday in every situation. Every small step counts. Every act of kindness is an act of leadership in the moment.
- Do you take action?
- Do you share your knowledge and experience?
- Do you show compassion?
- Do you help?
- Do you lead the way?
- Are you willing to take a risk?
- Will you risk being wrong?
- Will you step up?
- Will you lean in?
- Do you pay it forward?
- Will you do whatever it takes?
A simple formula: Live. Learn. Lead. Make a difference everyday in your life and in the lives of those people you come into contact with.
Every step is a step forward. Small steps count.
Will you commit to it? Let's start a grass roots revolution for all of us to get the most out of life.
I would love to hear how you are doing.