Last week, The New York Times published its "52 Places to Go in 2014" list. Our deal experts, always on the pulse of the hottest travel trends, already scoured the globe for deals in these must-visit destinations. We've rounded up our favorite deals in these recommended vacation spots to make 2014 the year you check a new city off your bucket list, explore a remote tropical paradise or get up close to a world-famous landmark.
1. Cape Town, South Africa: Spend seven nights in award-winning accommodations in Cape Town and on a private game reserve for $3,999 per person (save $2,300) May-October. Spot wildlife on six game drives and a helicopter ride, tour South African wineries and dance along to a drum session in the capital. Airfare, transfers and 15 meals are included in the package
3. Northern California: Sneak off for a two-night, romantic retreat at Mendocino's historic Wharf Master's Inn for $169 (regularly $290) through April. Guest rooms feature Jacuzzi tubs, fireplaces and private balconies overlooking the coast. Take a scenic horseback ride on the beach, tour one of the area's 35 wineries or visit nearby redwood forests. Stays include a bottle of wine, dining credit and free slot play at Garcia River Casino.
4. Albanian Coast: Tour the Adriatic for 10 days and visit Albania along with Croatia, Slovenia and Montenegro for $2,399 per person (save $1,620) when traveling April through October. The itinerary includes 4- and 5-star hotels, English-speaking tour guide, all transportation and 17 meals.
5. Downtown Los Angeles: For $159 per night (45 percent off), stay at the Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel and receive complimentary valet parking, regularly $37 per night. The hotel is near the Staples Center and within walking distance of Grand Central Market as well as Alma, Bon Appetit's "Best New Restaurant in America."
7. Ecuador: For $1299 ($900 off similar tours), book a weeklong stay at Red Mangrove Galapagos Island. Called a "living museum," the archipelago is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and home to wildlife found nowhere else on the planet. The itinerary includes one night in Quito or Guayaquil, six nights' lodging on the islands, boat rides, daily breakfast and escorted tours through bays of tropical fish, lava tunnels and giant cactus forests.
22. Yorkshire, England: Spend two nights at Simonstone Hall Country House Hotel, a restored hunting lodge in Northern England, including an upgraded room and meals for $162 per person (£99 per person, 30 percent off). The historic hotel overlooks the Yorkshire Dales and offers diverse outdoor activities including clay pigeon shooting and fishing on its lavish lawn.
34. Indianapolis: Stays at the Hyatt Regency Indianapolis start at $79 per night for travel through April (55 percent off). The downtown hotel is home to the city's only revolving rooftop restaurant featuring 360-degree skyline views. Guests can walk to the NCAA museum or tour countless historic sites on the newly opened, bike-friendly Indy Cultural Trail.
36. Athens, Greece: Tour the ancient capital before heading to the country's most popular islands, Mykonos and Santorini. The eight-night package includes airfare, 4-star accommodations, ferries and daily breakfast in autumn for $1,699 per person (save $700).
40. Downtown Atlanta :The chic W Atlanta Midtown is walking distance to Piedmont Park and a short drive to historic sites like the Centennial Olympic Park, Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthplace and the National Center for Civil and Human Rights, slated to open in May. Rooms with breakfast for two at the trendy 4-star hotel are $212-$245 per night through February (save $50); a two-night stay is required.
52. Niagara Falls, NY : Stay and play at the Sheraton at the Falls hotel for $79 per night (regularly $169) through March, including $30 slot play for the Seneca Niagara Casino across the street and $20 dining credit at the on-site T.G.I. Friday's. The hotel is within walking distance of the falls, two blocks from the Canada-U.S. border and a 15-minute drive from shopping outlets where guests enjoy an exclusive discount.
Travelzoo Tip: Travelzoo Deal Experts narrowed down our five favorite destinations for the new year based on recent travel trends and industry buzz. Plan your 2014 travel itinerary with deals in our favorite "wow" destinations: Ecuador, Jersey Shore, India, Palm Springs and Europe's Rivers.
Elisabeth Barker is an editor at Travelzoo and based in New York City. Travelzoo has 250 deal experts from around the world who rigorously research, evaluate and test thousands of deals to find those with true value.