The new year is close upon us and I, for one, love starting the year fresh with an organized space and a clean slate.
Physically decluttering allows the mind freedom to relax and let go of the previous year. Decluttering isn't just a physical task, but an emotional one as well. Think of a time when you couldn't part with an old, raggedy t-shirt that didn't fit anymore because you wore it to a special event. We form attachments to our possessions which means when we let them go (either by discarding or donating) we are processing through our emotions.
The process of letting go can open up a myriad of opportunities because we now have the space to allow it. We may find new ideas and inspiration for the upcoming year flowing in without the nagging feeling of old projects.
Despite this being a list of things to de-clutter, the most important step is to sit quietly and ask yourself what needs to be let go of. What will give you the most emotional freedom? Then go do that -- right now.
10 Organizational Tips to Let Go and Start 2016 Off Right
1. Admire Art Work. Collect all of your paintings, framed pictures and art work that is hidden in the back of closets or in the attic. Decide if it makes you happy and then hang it if it does and donate/discard it if it doesn't. This type of item is made to be admired and enjoyed. Allow yourself this pleasure!
2. Sort Clothes. Organize a clothing holiday exchange party with your friends or donate the whole lot to charity. Only keep what you really want to be wearing - things that make you feel good now.
3. Clear Out Social Media. Facebook got you down? Unfollow or defriend negative people online. This is your space - keep it positive.
4. Clean Car. Take time to create a comfortable space in your car. Throw out garbage, wipe down the inside. Make it feel calming. Your commute in 2016 will be that much more peaceful.
5. Analyze Side Projects. Do you have half finished projects around the house? Which of them do you intend to finish in 2016? Complete the ones that you've been putting off or discard them. Remember we're creating new, inspirational space by letting old things go.
6. Tidy Phone. Back up the pictures you want to keep. Delete old apps you don't use. Clear out any unwanted contacts. Your phone is with you most of the time - make it as inviting as possible!
7. File Paperwork. It is essential to take ownership of important paperwork and create a system that works for you to keep organized throughout the year.
8. Review Medical Supplies and Medication. Properly discard old medication at a local drop-off. Donate medical supplies if you no longer need them. Once healed from a big injury, it can feel liberating to let go of these items.
9. Clear out your fridge. Take everything out and actually wipe the inside of the fridge down. Bonus: Only put back what you want to be eating in 2016!
10. Hobby supplies. We all start hobbies (and/or buy things and intend to start hobbies) which come with several pieces. Take a close look at your hobby tools and decide which ones you want to continue in 2016 and let the others go. This will help you focus on the ones you find most important.
Remember a sure fire way to feel peaceful in the new year is to take action on the nagging tasks/projects you have now including organizing your space.