Building an e-commerce site for a startup tech company requires attention to detail not only in the structure, but in the design. These 10 qualities are all necessary for an e-commerce site to be effective and successful.
E-commerce sites are an increasingly popular platform for making money online, only recently being eclipsed by mobile applications. The ability to develop responsive e-commerce platforms and coordinate between traditional and mobile store opportunities has complicated the e-commerce game, but the fundamental principles of a quality, enticing online store remain the same.
Put these 10 qualities on your "must have" list when developing your startup tech e-commerce site:
1. Visible, recognizable branding. Keep your logo front and center, and build your store around your brand. Make your shop unique in your industry, and give your customers a feeling of familiarity when they visit.
2. Free offers. No matter what, you need to have an area of the site or a running advertisement for some sort of free deal. It could be free shipping, a free gift on orders of a certain value, or something similar.
3. Newsworthy information. Are you selling tech products? Make sure your shop has the latest news on tech developments. Make yourself the authority in your field.
4. Easy login and shopping cart options. Don't make your users hunt for the ability to log in and check out. It needs to be clear and easy.
5. Intuitive search features. Searches should be easy to make--don't let your user struggle to find anything in your site. Put a big search bar at the top and make sure it can find anything.
6. High resolution images. Your products need to look alive on the page. Take great pictures, and show them off to entice users to buy.
7. Videos. It's important, now more than ever, to have videos available on your site. They could demonstrate products, guide users through your system, or just introduce people to your brand.
8. Focus. Your site should be distraction-free. Offer products and information, and nothing else. Simplicity is key.
9. Clearance sections. Giving users a cheaper alternative will draw in different shades of your target demographic without alienating your main audience.
10. Personal feels. Give your site a personal touch by introducing some of your team and writing in a comfortable, familiar way. Make sure to include direct contact information as well.
E-commerce sites with these 10 qualities tend to perform better, both in terms of total purchases and in terms of customer retention. Paying close attention to details and giving your users an unforgettable experience are the hallmarks of any online sales effort.
Jose Vasquez is a serial entrepreneur and tech enthusiast dedicated to helping startup technology companies get the direction and momentum they need to succeed. As the founder of Build. Brand. Blast., Jose has established a collective resource for tech entrepreneurs to consult when brainstorming, creating, launching, or expanding a new business. Jose is also the founder and CEO of Quez Media Marketing, a marketing firm that combines technology and creativity to help new and growing companies get the results they need.
Jose graduated from Goldman Sachs' 10,000 Small Businesses program. Goldman Sachs is a partner of the What Is Working: Small Businesses section.