Confession: I am one of those people that really enjoy New Year's and the idea of New Year's resolutions as cheesy/ overly optimistic as the idea of starting anew may be. While I get that you can set goals for yourself and create a clean slate any time you like, New Year's just seems like the most convenient time to do so. So, yes, I do like to believe I will work out more (cliché, I know), time-manage more effectively, and just have a better year each and every New Year's. In honor of my love for New Year's and all the possibilities that it brings, here is a list of inspirational quotes -including a couple of song lyrics- to send out some good vibes for 2015!
1. "Sal, we gotta go and never stop going 'till we get there.' 'Where we going, man?' 'I don't know but we gotta go." - Jack Kerouac, On the Road
2. "Learning to let go should be learned before learning to get. Life should be touched, not strangled. You've got to relax, let it happen at times, and at others move forward with it." - Ray Bradbury
3. "When it is time for you to leave this school, leave your job, or even leave this earth, you make sure you have worked hard to make sure it mattered you were even here." - Wes Moore, The Other Wes Moore: One Name, Two Fates
4. "If we can find a way of becoming positive in the present, then our brains work even more successfully as we're able to work harder, faster and more intelligently."- Shawn Anchor, "The Happy Secret to Better Work" (TEDTalk)
5. "What matters to you defines your mattering." - John Green, An Abundance of Katherines
6. "You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."- Jack London
7. "So come on torpedo do your worst/ Get me right in the heart, blow me up 'til you see my ghost/ But I will not lay down in the road/ I will not make it easy"- Jillette Johnson, "Torpedo"
8. "You gotta swim/ And swim when it hurts/ The whole world is watching/ You haven't come this far/ To fall off the earth"- Jack's Mannequin, "Swim"
9. "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin
10. "Have your adventures, make your mistakes, and choose your friends poorly -- all these make for great stories." - Chuck Palahniuk