I attended a plenary at the 7th Annual LGBT Media Summit at #NLGJA25, "Affirming Proclamation: Trans* Elders Review Misgendering in News, Culture and Hollywood."
Here are 10 things I learned:
1. "Transgendered" is offensive.
2. "Trans" when space is an issue is acceptable.
3. "Tranny" is a pejorative term.
4. There is a toolbox, http://www.nlgja.org/resources/journalists-toolbox.
5. For the first time there are gender-neutral bathrooms #NLGJA25.
6. There is a style book supplement which includes transgender terminology.
7. Miss Major Griffin-Gracy, one of the panelists, is a veteran of the Stonewall Rebellion.
8. Veronika Fimbres, another panelist, is the first openly transgendered officer in the history of San Francisco.
9. Jamison Green, another panelist is the president of the World Professioanl Association for Transgender Health.
10. Overall as my friend Ina Fried said, there was a lot of "trans splaining" going on.
Peace, love, compassion and blessings.