I recently saw the west coast premiere of Analogy/Dora: Tramontane by Bill T. Jones/Arnie Zane Company at Yerba Buena Center for the Arts. Here are 10 things I learned about Bill T. Jones:
1. He was the recipient of a MacArthur Genius award.
2. The work is based on oral history taken in 2003 by Jones with Dora Amelan, who was 95 years old, a French Jewish nurse/social worker, WWII survivor and his mother-in-law.
3. The work is 85 minutes in length with no intermission.
4. Dora's son, Jones' current husband, is the company's creative director.
5. His company has performed in more than 200 cities in 40 countries.
6. It is dance, narrative, and music.
7. He was the recipient of he Human Rights Campaign for Visibility.
8. He is also the Artistic Director of NY Live Arts.
9. He formed the American Dance Asylum in Binghamton, NY whereI went to college.
10. Everyone plays the role of Dora and they go back and forth.
Peace, love, compassion, and blessings.