Vallejo, California is in the San Francisco Bay Area. I was there recently, here are 10 things I learned:
1. The motto is "city of opportunity".
2. It's 49.5 square miles, sound familiar?
3. It's the largest city in California to declare bankruptcy.
4. It was named after General Mariano Guadalupe Vallejo.
5. The neighboring city of Benicia was named after General Vallejo's wife.
6. Six Flags Discovery Theme Park is located there.
7. The now defunct Mare Island Naval Shipyard was located there.
8. It was once the capital of California.
9. Both the San Andreas Fault and the Hayward Fault are located there.
10. According to the 2010 census the population is only 33% white.