I saw Straight Outta Compton on opening day. Here are 10 things I learned:
1. The "Straight Outta ... Your Hometown" meme has 6 million downloads to date.
2. Learned the birth names of some of the N.W.A. members: Eric Wright a.k.a. Eazy E, Andre Young, a.k.a. Dr. Dre, O'Shea Jackson, a.k.a. Ice Cube.
3. There was no extra security at the Grand Lake Theatre in Oakland, California where I saw the movie. In fact, no security at all.
4. It's 2015 yet the abuse of power by law enforcement, violence and racism in the 1980s remains.
5. I was unaware of the "F*** tha Police" showdown in Detroit at the N.W.A. tour.
6. Did not know that N.W.A. got a warning letter from the F.B.I.
7. Ice Cube, Eazy-E's widow, and Dr. Dre are all producers of the movie.
8. The title comes from the name of N.W.A's 1988 debut studio album.
9. Suge Knight is a straight up gangsta thug. Many are glad he is in custody and cannot make bail.
10. Ice Cube's son O'Shea Jackson Jr. a.k.a. OMG portrays him in the film.
Peace, love, compassion, and blessings.