Raising children into decent adults is a job that requires tremendous effort. With that being said, I feel I have a different responsibility for my daughter than I do my son. After all, I am a woman and I am better suited to teach my daughter about being a woman than my husband is. Here are 10 of the most important things I want my daughter to know, so that she may grow into an intelligent, independent and confident young woman.
1. Don’t be afraid to say the word “no.” No matter what anyone says, you don’t have to do anything you don’t want to. (Chores and homework are the exception. Sorry.)
2. You’re absolutely beautiful and always have been. Don’t let anyone tell you differently.
3. You can be beautiful AND smart. Looks aren’t everything and they will only get you so far. You are capable of amazing things, you just need to apply yourself. Take advantage of all the opportunities the world has to offer you.
4. You can always talk to me. I will listen when you need it, give you advice when asked and keep your secrets. I have learned many lessons and chances are I’ve been in your shoes a couple times. Let me help.
5. Make your own decisions. If it will make you happy, go for it. And don’t stop until you’re proud.
6. Treat people with respect but stand up for yourself when it’s not returned.
7. You don’t need a man. To make you happy, to take care of you, etc. True happiness comes from within. You will never find it in someone else.
8. Never get back with your ex. That story ended once and it will end again and again....and again. Save yourself the heartache.
9. Express yourself. You can’t expect anyone to read your mind. More damage is done to yourself when you keep your feelings inside rather than letting people know how you feel.
10. I love you unconditionally. This one may be the most important. I would do anything for you. No matter how many times I may scrunch up my face and get frustrated with you, you will always be one of the best things to ever happen to me. I will always be your biggest fan and support you in anything your heart may desire.