Think back to a time when there was something you wanted so bad that you would have done anything to get it. You were determined to accomplish the goal and nothing was going to stop you.
Now think about your diet and exercise program. Maybe you're carrying around some extra weight that you know you need to lose. You can have the best diet in the world combined with the best exercise program in the world, but if you don't stick to it you're not going to see results. One of the leading factors when it comes to success on a diet is your mindset.
If you're not seeing the results you've been hoping for, ask yourself this critical thinking question: am I approaching my diet the same way I have taken on other challenges in the past? Am I really all in or just going through the motions?
In order to be successful at losing weight, you have to develop the mindset that will bring you success.
Here are 10 tips for approaching your diet with with a winning mindset.
1. Know why you're dieting: Every day, write down the five most important reasons you must lose weight and get healthy until you hit your ideal weight. This will burn them into your mind and keep you on track. Your why is equally important to how you're going to do it.
2. Expect to build the body of your dreams: Expectations are self-imposed and can be upgraded at any time. Decide today to expect to develop the body of your dreams. Look for pictures in magazines of people with bodies you would like to have and tape them on poster board so you can see them every day. Build this image into your mind and expect it to happen. This will drive you to behave in ways that lead you to your expected result.
3. Have supreme confidence: If you lack self-confidence because of past failures, don't feel bad because you're in the majority. Decide today to grow up emotionally by getting tough with yourself and gutting it out for 21-30 days. Your success will give you the confidence you need to pursue your next goal.
4. Make a do or die commitment: Examine your commitment level to getting fit from your actions of the last seven days. If you're off track, forgive yourself and start over today on the path of 100 percent compliance.
5. Employ the power of persistence: Identify five different times in your life when you persisted until you succeeded, and write them down. Read them every morning for the next seven days and immerse yourself in the consciousness it took to persevere.
6. Build a team of supporters: There's no need to suffer silently. Contact three of your closest friends or family members and ask them to be on your support team. It's easy to quit when you're on your own, but letting down a team of people who care about you is a different story.
7. Reward yourself for execution: Just for today, give yourself a small (non-food) reward if you are 100 percent compliant on your diet and exercise program and notice how it makes you feel. If it works, implement new rewards every day or at least once a week. One the struggle is over and your new habits are in place, you won't need rewards. You'll feel so good physically and mentally you'll wonder why you didn't get fit sooner.
8. Have a sense of urgency: Decide to get fit now instead of later. Not next week. Not after the summer. Not after your birthday. Do it now, while there's still time. Do it now, while you still have a choice.
9. Get around people who support your goal: Make a decision to distance yourself from people who refuse to support you in your fitness goals. Your life is at stake, and this calls for drastic measures. Just say no to spending time with people unless they are in harmony with your biggest goals and dreams.
10. Never say die: Decide you will do whatever it takes to get fit and that you will never say die. This isn't a game. If you fail, you will continue to struggle with weight and get sicker. The only thing separating you from a life of disease and a life of abundant health is a rock solid decision. Make it today and watch your energy soar.
As baseball great Roger Clemens said, "I think anything is possible if you have the mindset and the will and desire to do it and put the time in." Seeing results on your diet is no different.