There is no greater an energy sucker in life than negativity. Whether it is your own negative attitude, spending time around negative people or being stuck in a negative situation, life quality is greatly decreased by negativity. To experience negative times is normal but to be imbued with negative energy, situations and relationships is life altering. Negativity limits our potential to become something great and it keeps us from living a purposeful, hopeful and fulfilling life. People who stay miserable in life have greater amounts of stress, increase in health problems and less opportunity in life because they cannot see past the negativity to the opportunity. To become more positive we have to make a conscious decision to change our thinking, and accept that life will bring difficulty and negative moments. Our choice must be to live effectively within the challenging times.
1. Accept challenge as a natural part of life: No amount of positive thinking will take a challenge away but there are positive ways to see our challenges. Our painful emotions cannot defeat us. We do not need to rid ourselves of negative emotions and nor do we need to over attached to them. All painful emotions will come and go through the natural process of life. If we have a bad mood, we don't need fight it with trying to think positive. Accept the mood and trust that it will pass. Trust that each challenge is here to help you grow and do your best to live effectively when challenged.
2. Self -reliant: It is when we are self-centered that we are apt to become the most negative towards ourselves and others. When we see life as all about us it is easy to believe that we deserve more than what we have. An attitude of entitlement sets us up for unrealistic expectations that others should cater to all our needs and wants. This type of attitude makes us dependent. The surest way to a happier life is to be able to depend upon ourselves to get our needs met. Dependency is a vain state of existence which creates us be an "energy sucker" for others.
3. See life as full of opportunity: When we see life in terms of lack or what we do not have we cannot appreciate the beautiful nuances our life brings. Learning to see and appreciate all that we do have makes us grateful. Grateful people see the good while negative people complain. There is nothing more draining for others than to be around someone who constantly complains about life. Learn to see everything as opportunity. Shift from selfishness into gratefulness. This attitude gets noticed by others, it makes yus more attractive, and from this, more possibilities open up. People that don't appreciate the nuances of their lives live in a constant state of suffering.
4. Rid yourself of "seriousity": Laugh more, especially at yourself. Choose not to sweat the small stuff. Life gets busy, schedules are booked, we have the responsibility of relationships, and work can become task oriented or routine-driven at times. When we stop laughing and become mechanical life is lived under a black cloud. Life isn't always about performance. There is so much more out there. Break your routine, take breaks, go on vacation or have a staycation but learn to see out of your "responsibility" box and laugh, smile and become alive.
5. Help others: Negativity and selfishness go hand-in-hand. People that live as if they are at the center of the Universe struggle to find the higher purpose in their lives. If the whole point of this life is only for someone to take care of themselves and no one else, the road to long-term happiness and purpose will not be reached. Helping others, loving others, and supporting others to be a happier or a more successful version of who they are is a pathway to increased fulfillment for us.
6. Have a purpose: Goals, achieving and striving for something bigger is a sure path to happier life. Happiness is the byproduct of achieving. We are all here to work and to be in action. Without action there is nothing but room for depression and negativity. As we stay busy, moving towards a goal, being creative and innovative, we wake up with a purpose. Inspiration keeps us motivated and active in our lives. Find that purpose that is uniquely yours and don't wait one more minute to start your journey.
7. Choose your attitude: Change always starts from within. In life we can either be our best ally or our worst enemy. Learning to see the good in painful is the greatest asset we have to feeling and being successful. Life is never going to be without challenge, but we can still choose to search for the silver lining when we feel life's pain. Change the language you speak to yourself. We are the hardest on ourselves, and a stream of negative, self-defeating inner talk is corrosive to a happy life. Be nice to yourself.
8. Choose good company: Emotions are contagious and for that reason we become the most like the people we spend our time with. If our friends and/or family groups are full of emotional-vampires, histrionics or self-centered people we will unconsciously become like them. It is difficult to become happier and more fulfilled in life when the people around us are not supportive or demonstrative of positive behavior. Finding positive, motivated people is like riding an escalator into life's more fruitful spaces.
9. Work hard: Learn to turn stress into positive action/motivation. Work through the stress instead of letting it paralyze your movement. All stress can be worked through, and when we focus on working through it the stress dissipates much more quickly. Further, hard work is always geared towards the achievement of something and happiness is the byproduct of achieving. Working hard and fulfillment are synonymous. Laziness and depression are also synonymous.
10. No more victim mentality: We cannot grow if we see ourselves as the victim. We are all responsible for our thoughts and our attitude. Take full responsibility for your view point and see the good in the "bad." If we consistently believe bad things are always happening to us we handicap ourselves. Make this new year the year for you to be the victor. We each have unlimited potential within to design our own reality and to change our lives.
Make positive choices in favor of yourself. Love yourself, take action and watch your thoughts. Thoughts become words and words lead the actions, and actions then become habits. Since this is the process give your attention to gratitude, prosperity, abundance, love, hard work, goals, exercise, eating clean, and getting sufficient sleep. Let these becomes your habits.
Sherapy Advice: Commitment to Self is the path to increased quality of life.