Are you in a living room rut, or looking for an easy -- and affordable -- way to change up your main space? If you're getting tired of your living room and don't have the budget to shell out for new flooring, wall color, and furniture all at once, just follow these tips and tricks to help give your place a facelift without breaking the bank.
1. Paint a statement wall: An easy way to update your living space is to choose the main wall of the area, and slap a bold color onto it. Since you're only doing one wall instead of all four, you can save some money on paint while still giving your home a serious update.
2. Accessories: Spend a weekend at your local thrift shop and pick up some unique finds that can be used as bookends, coffee table accents, or double as vases for fresh flowers. These don't need to be expensive at all -- and mix and match what you find to create a fun new color scheme.
3. Pillows: Swapping out your pillow covers can easily take your space into a new season. Try bright colors and floral patterns if you're in a spring mood, and then use neutral whites or furs for the winter seasons.
4. Style your coffee table: Swap out your coffee table books for new ones that complement your new mood. Use trays, accessories, and different textures and layers to add some intrigue to your table.
5. Gallery wall: Take an assortment of photos and pieces of art, such as framed diplomas and personal pictures, to create a gallery on one of your empty walls. Get creative with the arrangement, as there's really no way you can go wrong here ---one of the best things about a gallery wall is that it's an affordable way to show off your own achievements and personality, and incorporating your artistic side as well.
6. Reupholster your existing chairs: Don't want to splurge on a new statement chair? Reupholster your existing chair with a fabric that is perfect for the season. You'll feel like you bought a completely new piece to anchor your room.
7. Use baskets: Buy some cheap, yet sturdy, woven rattan baskets that you can place on the floors of your living room to store your blankets, pillows or TV remotes when not in use. Baskets are a functional way to hide some unsightly elements from guests, all while having them close within reach when you need them.
8. Paint your bookcase: Have a built-in bookcase? Lucky you! To give it a quick update, choose a complimentary color to paint the backing of the bookcase. It'll add some depth to your bookcase styling, and provide a good backdrop.
9. Invest in sconces: Sconces are a great way to provide the lighting that you're lacking in your living space, all while adding a touch of glam. Try framing your art, or TV!
10. Paint your end tables: Spruce up your existing table by painting an accent color on the handles, legs, and even the frame itself. If it's a wood table, try using a crisp white to give it a shabby-chic update.