A couple weeks ago, I posed the following question to the chronic illness community on Twitter:
“What’s the worst advice you’ve gotten about your illness?”
As you can imagine, chronic illness sufferers have been on the receiving end of some pretty terrible advice. Some of the responses are downright infuriating, especially the ones that involve victim blaming.
But some will make you laugh. Others will make you cringe. A few you’ve probably heard before.
1. The one who wants to cure you with an exorcism:
“I was told chronic illness was caused by demon possession and negative thinking. I apparently just needed to pray more. Sure, sure.” @thephoenixmandy
2. The one who thinks they know more than your doctor:
“Here, take this pill.” - @drunkitty2000
image courtesy of freeimages.com/Jenny W.
3. The one who just knows they have the right cure for you:
“If you take special vitamins/cut gluten/get off meds, you will feel so much better. Bwahaha! Um. Ok. Thanks, no.” @alexandrabird13
4. The one who thinks your chronic illness is temporary, like a cold:
“There are too many to list, but: ‘You need to get out more.’ ‘Are you better yet?’ ‘You don’t look sick.” @ditzynic04
Image courtesy of Yoel Ben Avraham/https://www.flickr.com/photos/epublicist/15552378181](/content/images/2016/08/dog-sick.jpg
5. The one who thinks you just need some fresh air:
”Definitely get out more.” @lt_temple
6. The one who thinks it’s all in your head:
“Do you really need to take pills? Maybe meditate!” @Tracewilliams27
7. The one who thinks you just need to get pregnant:
“Having a baby will make it better.” @Ima_Goober
8. The one who blames you:
“Take better care of yourself.” @kenzieibd
9. The one who thinks you just need to push yourself a bit more:
“You’re not trying hard enough to get better.” @kitkatmd91
10. The one who thinks you just need to go to the gym:
“You need to get out more. Have you tried exercise? It’s all in your mind.” @CowlingLaura
11. And last, but certainly not least:
Regarding her endometriosis... “Just put some yogurt up there.” @CatieMWhite
Image courtesy of Takeaway CC BY-SA 4.0 http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0, via Wikimedia Commons
What bad advice have you heard regarding your chronic illness? Share in the comments below.