Do you ever feel like you’re a hamster in a wheel, running as fast as you can, but going absolutely no where?
Do you feel overwhelmed and over-extended? Is your life pulling you in a million different directions?
It’s crazy, right?
Once upon a time I was that person who was overwhelmed, stressed to the max, and drowning in a sea of every day busy. I woke up every morning with a list a mile long of urgent things to do and I went to sleep with a list a mile long of urgent things to do.
Even when I slept, my brain ran the hamster wheel at warp speed. I was mentally and physically fried.
All this overwhelm showed up in my body as cancer. It was literally my body saying ENOUGH. I had to learn to do things differently. I had to learn how to quit paying homage to the almighty gods of busy. I had to learn how to live life on my terms and not on somebody else’s terms or how they thought I should live my life.
As I shifted my life around, I began collecting motivational quotes to help keep me off the hamster wheel.
Today I’m sharing 13 of my favorite motivational quotes with you. Maybe one or two or five will help you get off the crazy busy hamster wheel and save your emotional well being.
1. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
While I was busy taking care of everyone else and their wants and needs, I realized I was doing nothing to take care of mine. Running myself into the ground wasn’t the thing I wanted to achieve. This quote served as my reminder that what I wanted to achieve mattered and the only way to achieve it was with enthusiasm.
2. Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there. ~ Will Rogers
I remember just sitting on the tracks of life and getting run over. Sometimes I didn’t even know if I was on the right track or not.
Thanks Will. You reminded me to keep moving on my right track.
3. The mind is everything. What you think you become. ~ Buddha
It took a while for me to get this and put it into practice. As long as I thought I had to take care of everyone else, I became the “care taker.” And as I learned through reading Melody Beattie’s book, “The Language of Letting Go” care-taking doesn’t work. It sends a silent message to those being taken care of, “I don’t think you are capable of taking care of yourself.” It’s a double dose of resentment.
4. Either you win or you learn. ~ UNK
I’ve learned a lot. ‘Nuff said.
Seriously…this is one of my absolute favorite motivational quotes…especially when I’m learning or doing something brand new and I’m scared I’ll embarrass myself or feel like a complete fool. Instead of feeling foolish, I tell myself, “you’re learning…relax…”
5. You are the only person on earth who can use your ability. ~ Zig Ziglar
And what’s your super power? Mine is writing. Sure there are tens of thousands of other writers out there but only I write the way I do. And I have a ginormous heart. I can love on others even when they live thousands of miles away.
6. The worst thing one can do is not to try, to be aware of what one wants and not give in to it, to spend years in silent hurt wondering if something could have materialized – never knowing. ~ Jim Rohn
Talk about a kick in the keester. Thanks Jim. I needed this in a big way and sometimes I still do.
7. Every time you state what you want or believe, you’re the first to hear it. It’s a message to both you and others about what you think is possible. Don’t put a ceiling on yourself. ~ Oprah Winfrey
Whoa. Whoa. Whoa. Be careful what you say to yourself. Only you limit you.
8. The past cannot be cured. ~ Queen Elizabeth I
I had to stop stewing in my past. No matter what scenario I concocted in my head, nothing was going to change what actually happened. There is no cure for the past. Thank you, your royal highness.
9. Make bold choices and make mistakes. It’s all those things that add up to the person you become. ~ Angelina Jolie
This is a new favorite of mine. Mostly because I learned to make bold choices and become less afraid of making mistakes. My life cracked wide open once I allowed myself to go boldly where I’ve never been before. Yours will, too. Promise.
10. Whether you think you can or cannot, you are right. ~ Henry Ford
11. Success comes in cans, not in cannots. ~ Joel Wheldon
Double truth. I used to tell my daughters this all the time. The next time you start to explain why you can’t do something, remember this. Success comes in cans…not in cannots.
12. One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar. ~ Helen Keller
Soar, baby, soar! Un-clip your wings, unlock your cage. Take flight and show the world what you’ve got!
And my all time favorite quote, that for the longest time I had written in red lipstick on my bathroom mirror:
13. If you are unwilling to impose your terms upon life, then you must be willing to accept what life offers you. ~ T. S. Elliot
I got sick and tired of being sick and tired. I was tired of what life kept offering me. When this quote found me, it was like getting doped slapped in the head. It was my very own V-8 thwap. I tattooed this quote across my soul and began imposing my terms upon life. In the 15 years since first reading this, my life has been infinitely better.
I’d love to hear from you. Leave a comment and share what quote or quotes speak to you or maybe you have a favorite you’d like to share with me.
As always, if this post speaks to you, share on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and Pinterst. Sharing is Caring!
If you’re looking to redefine what success and happiness and living a joyful, creative life mean to you, you’re on the right path and you’re in the right place. Join Peggy and Discover Your Pathways To Possibility