There has never been a candidate for any office that I am aware of that has given voters so many legitimate opportunities to drop their support. We can’t consider what Trump says as mere gaffes anymore; it’s just who he is. Time and time again he has provided reasons why nobody should support him, for anything, ever!
This vaudeville act stopped being funny a long time ago.
He isn’t edgy, he isn’t cute, he isn’t clever. He’s an insecure, juvenile bully who thinks he can become student body president by pulling his opponents underwear over their head. He’s Biff Tannen from “Back to the Future 2”. You know, the one where he is a casino owner? Well, folks, this isn’t Biff’s Pleasure Paradise, this is the Presidency of the United States, and Biff wants it.
It’s not like he hasn’t given people a way out, many of them. This isn’t just about supporting someone else, although there are much better choices. We get it; you hate Hillary. Yet, you’re willing to risk the future of America while sacrificing your own integrity on the altar of Trump?
I could write for days just about the lies and stupid, misinformed comments he has made in just the last 24 hours. For now, though I just want you to think about these as times you should have given up on this dude.
1. The day he announced. Trump said “When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best.” he continued “They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.” Not only was this one of the most incendiary statements ever made by a presidential candidate against an entire race of people, but it was also THE FIRST THING HE SAID!
2. The day he said he would make Mexico pay for his wall. Yes, I know it was the same day as #1, which adds to its putridness. However, no he isn’t going to make Mexico pay for anything. What does he know about paying for construction projects anyhow?
3. The time he made fun of a physically challenged reporter. The fact that anyone could support him after this one defies logic. Of course, we know logic doesn’t seem to come into play when we are talking about the Trump campaign.
4. The day we found out he doesn’t know what the nuclear triad is. It happened in a debate, and it was like watching a slow motion trainwreck. It would have been a similar response to asking a toddler to explain thermal dynamics. And that toddler was an idiot.
5. The day he said John McCain was not a war hero. There is a lot of negative things one might say about McCain. You may not like his policy positions; you may not like the fact he’s been in the Senate for so long. The one thing that is you can’t deny is his military service and the sacrifice he has made for this country in war. The fact that Trump can motivate support by attacking his service tells me about the dark heart of a Trump supporter.
6. When he went after a sitting Judge over his heritage. Criticizing a judge is one thing, and it’s something that I would never shy away from when necessary. However to do it solely based on the Judge’s ethnicity is the definition of a RACIST!
7. When he attacked the Cruz family. Take your pick of which one. Ted Cruz’s wife Heidi or Rafael Cruz, his father. Trump had some pretty disgusting things to say about both of them. However to insinuate the elder Cruz was somehow involved in the JFK assassination may be the most insane of all the personal attacks to date.
8. That thing he said about Megan Kelly. Vile, disgusting and sophomoric. That is how you would describe it. As we have seen, however, it’s a common theme of his. If you don’t like what he says or question him to directly, he attacks you personally. It’s also a tactic his most ardent supporters seem to favor.
9. When he attacked a gold star family. The Khan’s son, a Muslim, paid the ultimate sacrifice. Trump has consistently questioned the patriotism of Muslims, and the motives of Islamic immigrants that are coming to this country. The Kahn’s spoke out about this at the DNC. He responded like you would expect someone who wants to be the leader of the free world. He threw a fit and said they picked on him; he then attacked them. One of his lead henchmen Roger Stone even went as far as to insinuate Mr. Khan and his son were connected to terrorism.
10. When he said he saw a video of money being exchanged for hostages. Yeah, he was full of shit then too.
11. When he said we should go after the families of terrorists. Terrorists suck, we all know that. I have no problem with exterminating them. However to say that we should bomb entire cities and kill the families of terrorists is beyond the pale. I don’t know what country Trump grew up in, but that is not how America should operate. To be fair here, Ted Cruz made similar statements, and I found those just as disgusting.
12. When he said he didn’t know anything about white supremacists. Instead of disavowing former Klan leader David Duke’s endorsement, Trump just sidestepped the issue. His weak response was, “I don’t know anything about him or white supremacists.” WTF does that even mean? Hey, Donald, WHITE SUPREMACISTS are bad in every setting. Except in your campaign apparently.
13. When he appeared to encourage 2nd Amendment supporters to shoot Hillary and or her Supreme Court nominees. If the GOP retains the House and Senate, she may never actually have any Supreme Court nominees, but that is beside the point here. If the average citizen had made a similar statement in a Facebook post, the Secret Service would be knocking on the door within a few hours. This wasn’t a joke or just another gaffe; this was a sickening position for a candidate seeking any public office to take.
That, my friends, is just 13 of the hundreds of reasons why you should have already dropped your support for this guy. He simply cannot be trusted to represent our country in a civilized world. He can’t be left to his own devices to say and do what is right for the security and future of our nation.
I want you to ask yourself this, had Barack Obama said any of these things how would you have reacted in 2008 or 2012? If Hillary said any of this stuff this year, how would you respond? We know that answer, and it makes you a hypocrite.
This post originally appeared on The Good Men Project