- If your child has a mobile phone, make sure he or she carries it in hand with Mom/Dad and 911 on speed dial. Never hesitate to call 911 in case of emergency.
- Use the buddy system: When walking, biking or just standing at the bus stop, arrange to buddy up with a friend or family member.
- Always travel along well-lit common paths. Avoid shortcuts that put you into a vulnerable situation, including areas with higher crime rates, drug activity, teens hanging out, or even highways or railroad tracks.
- Follow the law and bicycle safety rules and wear a helmet.
- If an adult ever approaches a child for directions, to look for a lost puppy or because "Mom (or Dad) is hurt and in the hospital," the child should know these are lures predators use to abduct a child.
- It is never appropriate to accept a ride from a stranger or even a known adult without the absolute permission of the parent.
- If the child is ever followed on foot or in a car, he or she should seek help immediately by calling 911 and going into the nearest police station or store.
- Trust your gut. When something seems wrong, it is wrong. If your belly feels funny or the hair on the back of your neck or arms stands on end, run to a safe place.
- Learn how to resist. Self-defense for kids is a necessary tool for fighting off a predatory adult. Kids should learn to kick and gouge and scream in the event an adult tries to compromise them.
11. Never accept money, gifts or food from an adult under any circumstances.
12. Set up GPS tracking on your child's mobile phone. Check with the phone's manufacturer for setup instructions.
13. Beware of what's being posted on social media. Always be aware that anyone, including authorities, predators or school administrators, may be watching. Post appropriately and do not reveal locations.
14. When getting home, make sure the house is locked before walking in. Always look for red flags that might signal an intrusion. If something seems wrong, it is wrong.
15. Consider Schlage's Touchscreen Deadbolt, which is a keyless lock. Eliminating keys eliminates lost keys and lockouts.