Maybe you live by the Marie Kondo method. Or perhaps you’re just trying to get a hold of the mess that is your kitchen (and bedroom and living room). Whatever your reason, here are 20 cleaning hacks that will make the whole process much, much easier.
1. Clean your remote Squeeze a dime-sized drop of hand sanitizer onto a paper towel and wipe down the entire surface. Get extra squeaky by using a Q-tip between buttons.
2. And your garlic press Mist it with cooking spray before using so any residual garlic goo slides off easily afterward.
3. Make your own glass cleaner Mix 1 tablespoon of vinegar with 1 quart of water and a squeeze of lemon (for that crisp, citrusy scent). Spray and wipe.
4. Get rid of rings on a wood table Just blast the spot with your blow-dryer on high heat until it begins to fade.
5. And nix grease stains, too By applying a paste of equal parts water and cornstarch to the spot. Leave it on overnight and it will be gone by morning.
6. Buff your furniture With a few drops of apple cider vinegar (which pulls dirt out of wood) mixed with ¼ cup olive oil (which conditions the wood).
7. Shine your cookware Squeeze a dollop of ketchup onto a cloth and rub it onto your pots and pans to remove tarnish.
8. Clean your microwave Fill a bowl with white vinegar and run it for five minutes so it gets nice and steamy in there. Wipe away stubborn grime easily with a paper towel.
9. Rinse out your blender After making your smoothie, fill the dirty blender with water and a pump of dish detergent. Run on high speed and rinse.
10. And your coffee machine Fill the machine with equal parts vinegar and water and run it for a few cycles.
11. Deodorize your garbage disposal Cut up the rind of a lemon and place a piece into each slot of an ice-cube tray. Toss the frozen cubes into the disposal and grind with the faucet running.
12. And your fridge Place coffee grounds (new or used) in a bowl on the top shelf and replace them every two months.
13. And your laundry hamper Just toss a few dryer sheets into the bottom of the bin or basket to eliminate any funky odors between washes.
14. Pick up pet hair With a squeegee! The rubber blade picks fur up in a flash.
15. And deodorize your carpet Sprinkle baking soda on your rug or carpet, let it sit for an hour and vacuum away any pet odors.
16. Clean your tub With a generously salted wedge of grapefruit. Use the salted citrus to scrub the tub and rinse away grime with warm water.
17. Tackle dust on your ceiling fan Slip a clean pillowcase over each blade and slide it off to pick up dust.
18. And under your furniture Wrap a pair of stockings around the head of a broom and use the handle to reach underneath your couch or cabinet. The static cling from the stocking acts like a magnet for dust.
19. Clean everything with an old toothbrush Like the vent of your hair dryer or your coffee grinder. Or your blinds and baseboards. And those hard-to-reach nooks and crannies between your faucet and bathroom tiles.
20. And use your dishwasher to clean unexpected things Like your contact case and kitchen sponges. Or your vacuum attachment and even your food-covered oven knobs.