We've already heard from tall women and skinny women about the comments directed at their physical appearances that seriously get under their skin. And now, it's time for the petite ladies out there to have their turn.
Short men unquestionably face greater social challenges than short women do, but being small in stature can mean years of frustrating, often patronizing, comments. Short women are deemed "cute," patted on the head even after we have far outgrown the kid label, and often (unintentionally) infantilized by our co-workers, love interests and even random strangers.
What shorter-than-average woman out there hasn't elicited looks of intense suspicion from a bouncer examining your decidedly over 21 ID? Or been told that you'll really appreciate looking 18 when you're 40? Or been glanced over completely, made to feel invisible in a sea of taller people?
As Sadie Stein wrote in 2010 for Jezebel: "[As a short woman], it's very hard to be taken seriously; you're 'cute' and almost novel. In a sense, you're hyper-feminized, but also not treated as an adult. Forget about being seen as a sexual object; people tend to regard you, often, as a sort of asexual perma-child."
So, friends of short ladies everywhere, please avoid making an issue out of your smaller companions' height. Here are 20 things you should never ever say to a short woman, courtesy of our Twitter and Facebook communities:
- "I think my 12-year-old is taller than you!"
- "Disney World is always hiring your size for costume characters."
- "Can you reach that for me?"
- "You're like a little doll."
- "Sorry I stepped on you."
- "If you were any shorter, I'd call you Yoda!"
- "Are you short enough to technically be considered a little person?"
- Anything involving the term "fun-sized."
- "I can use you as an arm rest!"
- "Short women don't age as fast."
- "Can you grab me that dish up ther- Oh. Never mind."
- "Yo! Smurfette!"
- "Can I put you in my suitcase?"
- "You're so cute."
- "I could totally use you as a place to put my beer on!"
- "You're so pretty! Too bad you can never be a model..."
- "Look how short you are!"
- "Do your feet touch the ground?"
- "But everyone else in your family is so tall!"
- "Move it, shortie!"
Though overall, we'd have to agree with this lady:
What other things should you never say to a short woman? Comment below, or join the conversation on Twitter @HuffPostWomen!