There are going to be dark times. There are going to be easier and lighter times. There is a constant ebb and flow to life and the situations and experiences it hands your way.
Throughout it all, you always have a choice. Do you cope with the more difficult situations from a place of fear? Or from a place of love?
With fear, this coping can be destructive. It can be in the form of drugs, alcohol, isolation, and other destructive behaviors.
Or your coping can be from a place of love.
A place of love means you are embracing compassion for yourself. It means you can internalize the notion that 'this too shall pass' and remember that your identity is not the emotion you are feeling in that moment.
Because you are sad or angry does not mean you are a bad person. Be used you feel insecure or uneasy does not mean you are good enough.
It is important to remember that you are whole and complete. Everything you need is infinitely within you and sometimes it takes healthy coping mechanisms to bring this to the surface and light.
So here are 20 healthy ways to cope with the more difficult situations and emotions:
1. Close your eyes and take a deep breath in.
2. Visualize yourself on an exotic island with no worries in the world.
3. Hold an ice cube in each hand. This takes the focus off of whatever you are experiencing in your mind and body.
4. Laugh out loud. Don't take yourself so seriously!
5. Listen to a song you enjoy. Start a dance party while you're at it!
6. Say this 'Life does not give me situations I cannot handle.'
7. Plan a trip or something to look forward to.
8. Talk to the inner child within. Would your inner dialogue speak to the inner child within that way it currently is? Didn't think so.
9. Close your eyes and remember eating your favorite meal or dessert as a child. Mmmmm delicious!
10. Remember that you were put here to be of service. You are a vessel with a unique and powerful message to share.
11. Do five jumping jacks and get out of your own way!
12. Write down everything you are scared of. Then, next to that list write down what you're doing to lessen that fear. I'm sure it's a lot more than you're aware of!
13. Clean out a closet or drawer. This brings about a sense of accomplishment.
14. Send a loving text or email. Remember that you have the ability to make a difference!
15. Go to a bookstore or online bookstore and buy yourself a book for fun and leisure.
16. Find a TV series that you can watch. When times are hard, put it on and breathe.
17. Repeat 'This too shall pass.' This mantra is everything. The only thing constant in life is change.
18. Write out a food plan for yourself with wholesome and nourishing foods. Look forward to embracing it and remember that it's one meal at a time.
19. Plan a workout that includes moving your body in a healthy way.
20. Light a candle or some incense. Smell the aroma. Use your senses.