by guest blogger Stephanie Eckelkamp, senior associate editor at Prevention magazine
Normally, I'm skeptical of "supereasy" kitchen hacks. But as someone who doesn't own an electric mixer and really digs dessert, I had to try this out.
The promise: perfectly fluffy whipped cream in just a few minutes using only a mason jar and your own muscle. To my delight, it worked! Needless to say, this will be my party trick at every holiday gathering.
Here, in 3 easy steps, is how it's done.
Mason Jar Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Gather your goods. In a large mason jar, combine the heavy whipping cream (preferably organic), sugar, and vanilla extract. Screw lid on tightly.
2. Shake, Shake, Shake! This is the fun part. Shake vigorously for 3 to 4 minutes. You'll notice that things sound less liquidy the longer you shake. Bonus: You're burning calories, so you can eat more whipped cream! (Snack AND lose weight with this box of Prevention-approved treats from Bestowed.)
3. Enjoy! Actually, this is the most fun part. When you remove the lid, the whipped cream should have a light and fluffy texture like, well, whipped cream. Lick it right off the spoon (for quality control, obviously) or dollop onto berries, pumpkin pie, or hot chocolate.
Stephanie Eckelkamp is a senior associate editor covering food and nutrition at Prevention magazine and is also a certified holistic-health coach. She's obsessed with her pup, Milo, and loves to get a little crazy in the kitchen. For more from Stephanie, visit StephEckelkamp.com.
Adapted from a story originally published on Prevention.com.
For more from Maria Rodale, visit www.mariasfarmcountrykitchen.com