With each passing year, I like to take to time to reflect on the lessons that I've learned. These are the things that I've learned about life as I turn 37....
1. Take accountability for your mistakes. If you find yourself blaming others (for anything, really) look for your part and take ownership. You can only work on yourself.
2. Sometimes life puts you through circumstances that show you who's really there for you. Focus on the ones who are there and who love and support you, rather than the ones that aren't, or can't be.
3. Money means very little - resourcefulness is everything. Count your riches on your resources and you'll realize how wealthy you really are.
4. Listening is so much more important than talking. You already know what you know when you open your mouth. When you open your ears that's when true learning takes place.
5. Our energy is one of our greatest resources, so it's important to be careful who surrounds us. It's okay to close the door on negativity. You'll soon see how this preserves your positive energy.
6. Travel makes you richer - even if it's not far from home. . Opening your eyes to the world and all the wonders in it will enrich the quality of your life.
7. Don't be afraid of what others think of you - are most likely spending time worrying about what others think of them.
8. Allow yourself to get rid of anything not serving you well;- purging yourself of clutter allows focus on the things you love.
9. Dancing is joy in motion - even if you have no rhythm. Confidence and happiness is all you need to enjoy the music.
10. The older we get, the faster time goes: the only way to slow it down is to be grateful for each moment.
11. Be loud and proud of your passions - you never know when your life will become your legacy. Leave an impression.
12. Be patient with the world around you, give others the benefit of the doubt, for you are the one who suffers most when you're irritated.
13. Comparing yourself to others is the fastest way to put limitations on your potential. Stick with competing with the person you were yesterday.
14. Collect moments, not things.
15. It is inevitable that bad things will happen, to you or to someone equally undeserving of pain. These moments are meant to measure our reactions to the event, and that's where you'll see how strength is truly defined.
16. As much as we all can speculate, no one truly knows what happens once this lifetime ends. As such, it's important to live life to the fullest and be thankful for each day.
17. If you want excel in life, take the time to ask those you admire for their best advice. You'll be able to learn from from their wisdom and the lessons derived from their collective mistakes.
18. As cliche as it sounds - no one can truly love you if you do not love yourself first. You are stuck with yourself every waking moment of this lifetime, so you might as well enjoy the journey.
19. Tell people you love them. Tell people about the wonderful things you see in them. Let no great thought you have about another, go without being said.
20. Support your friends dreams and encourage them whenever you can. Remind them of what's possible and cheer them along the way. An added benefit is that you'll be happy to be surrounded by people who love their lives.
21. If you want things to change, start by changing yourself.
22. If you look for the negative, or seek out the judgement, you will always find it.
23. Never complain about your age, there are plenty of people here on earth, or beyond, who would gladly take your number.
24. The number on a scale should never define you - but how you feel about your body definitely will. Decide to make choices you are proud of - whatever they are - and rock that body with confidence--it's the vehicle you'll be riding in for the remainder of your days.
25. If you genuinely don't want to do something or go somewhere, be honest. No one wants to spend time with you when you wish you were somewhere else..
26. The most important question to ask yourself when making a decision is: "Am I proud of this?" This question will lead you to find your best self in your choices.
27. Follow your dreams. Don't be afraid of them...or what other people think of them. Your life is only defined by your perceived limitations. Give it all you've got and you can never fail.
28. Live in fascination of nature, never in fear. The world is full of natural beauty if you take time to appreciate it.
29. There are two free shows a day: sunrise and sunset. See as many of them as you can and be thankful for the day they are attached to...no matter what it contained.
30. Align yourself with like minded people, people who motivate and inspire you, and those that make you feel genuinely happy when they are around. These people will light up your life and bring magic to your moments. Treat them with love and respect.
31. Believe in yourself...only you are capable of tapping into your true potential.
32. Be a role model: let your actions and your words be unified. Be someone you'd look up to.
33. Be creative, even if it feels unnatural. Let the art of expression work through you and let yourself be surprised.
34. Make someone's day, as often as possible.
35. Tell people your dreams, as often as they are willing to listen. Goals become more tangible when we say them aloud.
36. Say I love you...as often as you think it....and as often as you can.
37. Keep lists of the things you've learned - it will be interesting to see who you've been and how your views on life have evolved...