A Mogul is a stand-out leader, well-known expert or influencer in an industry. As examples, Oprah Winfrey is well-known as a Media Mogul with multiple media assets and influence across cable and network television. Russell Simmons is also widely known as a Hip Hop Mogul who leveraged hip hop culture to build an empire that crosses music, fashion, and financial services.
Moguls have been outspoken about what it takes to be a success and it isn’t all about the deal making and business strategy. From my career as a high-end consultant to Fortune 50 companies, I know first hand that it also takes people skills and personal mastery to attain mogul-dom. If you are ready to become a Modern Mogul and master not only the business strategy, but the people and personal leadership, keep reading.
Being a powerful leader means stepping into the decision-making role and embracing change as a way of living. It starts with acknowledging that things are not happening to you, but you are actively creating your experience each day. The things happening in your business today are the result of what you have been thinking about or working on for the last 3 months or maybe even the last three years.
Leading like a mogul requires attention and alignment between your goals and the actions you take on an ongoing basis. Taking time to get clear on your vision so you can reassess and release the things that no longer work for you and/or your clients are essential keys to being a powerful leader.
Here are four essential keys to effectively lead like a Modern Mogul:
Leadership Trait #1- Cultivate Awareness:
As you go through the next few days, notice the things that are draining versus the things that are energizing you in your business. Stay aware of your energy levels as a powerful signal of where you need to make changes. Consider how you feel about the processes you are using in your business and the products you are offering. Do you enjoy how you are working and the way you are serving with your business?
Once you know what isn’t working, you can start to make changes in how you do things AND shifts in your perspective on things you cannot change immediately.
This could lead to profound changes in how your business looks and feels in a few short months. I’ve seen this happen with my clients time and time again.
Leadership Trait #2 - Evaluate Your People:
I’d like to invite you to an audit of the people that are in your business, whether they are clients, business partners, affiliates, or contractors. Make a list of the people and the context of your engagement with them. For each relationship that might be problematic consider the following questions
- What about working with them lights you up and what drains you?
- Do you need to set new boundaries by speaking with them or do you need to implement more legal boundaries and contracts going forward?
- How can you engage and connect with more people who light you up and challenge you to become a better version of yourself?
Leadership Trait #3 - Up-level Your Productivity:
Focus and productivity are two of the biggest challenges of epic business leaders. One way to start making changes is to examine how you are spending your time on a daily basis.
- Can you get clearer on your goals and how they align with your daily activities?
- Are you spending maximum time working on your priority goals or do you become easily distracted by social media and the demands of others on your time?
- Consider using tools like Basecamp, Evernote or Trello to help keep your projects and to-do list organized. You can also use an app like Pomodoro to help you block your time and stay focused.
Make your priority list and commit to following through!!
Leadership Trait #4 - Declutter Your Workspace:
If you are like most creative individuals and busy entrepreneurs you probably have a lot of paper and books everywhere. You probably have more than enough notebooks to source a small African Village. This can easily become very overwhelming in your workspace. Your environment impacts your energy and your productivity...so look around.
- What can you file or throw out right now?
- Are there books that you can donate or resell?
- Is your space clean and well ventilated?
- Does your work chair allow for a straight spine?
- What can you do to make sure that you’re working in a space that supports you in doing your best work?
*If you are working from a bed or couch you might want to reconsider doing that!
Actionable Takeaway: Identify 4 changes that you can make based on your evaluation of these areas. Which action could have the biggest impact on your ability to lead your business right now?Implement that one!
Comment below and let me know what you’ll be working on to up your leadership. If you want personalized help click here to create your 10X Master Plan.