"There are days I drop words of comfort on myself like falling leaves and remember that it is enough to be taken care of by myself."
-- Brian Andreas
We're all busy. If there's one thing everyone reading this post has in common, that's probably it. While it may feel like we're too busy to take the time to care for ourselves, the truth is, we're too busy not too. Today, I'm sharing five easy ways to do something good for yourself. I do not claim to be an expert at this, but it's definitely something that I'm working towards getting better at, and I hope this post helps you as well!
1. Spend quality time with your family and friends. Again and again, research shows how vitally important it is to spend time with those you love. Caring for yourself isn't a solo act; laughing with and feeling reciprocal love amidst our family and friends goes a long way towards a happier, healthier and more relaxed you.
2. Take time to meditate. I try not to be overly dependent on technology, but a good friend introduced me to the Calm iPhone app and it's helped me to take time out to meditate when I otherwise wouldn't. The many, many benefits of meditation are too numerous to state or link to here, but meditation seems to be on everyone's radar lately. It's free, easy, doesn't take much time and is a simple way to recenter, relax, and take a moment for yourself.
3. Read, listen to music, audiobooks and/or podcasts. My phone's battery has been dying around midday lately. The reason for this? I'm always using it to listen to a favorite Pandora station, podcast, or audiobook. Even mundane household chores feel a little more enticing when I know I'll get to listen to the next chapter in a book I'm reading or a favorite podcast. I'm not saying I ever look forward to folding laundry, but engaging my mind elsewhere is an easy way to make the day-to-day a little less tedious.
4. Drink plenty of water. This tip has been stated and overstated, but it bears repeating. Staying hydrated is such an easy way to take care of yourself and your health. I share one of my favorite methods for drinking enough water in this post.
5. Do one small, but meaningful, thing for yourself each day. Whether it's purchasing fresh flowers, doing a craft project, taking a walk, coloring in an adult coloring book, reading a magazine or calling a friend, doing a small kindness for yourself each day can have powerful results.
I'd love to know--what simple but effective ways do you utilize to take care of yourself?