Diversity in communities can be defined by age, income level, occupation, education level, religion language and other factors in addition to race. WalletHub looked at the 230 most populous cities in the United States to determine which are the most diverse, based on these criteria.
The most diverse city in the country overall, as ranked by WalletHub is Los Angeles, followed by four more California cities.
Illinois is home to eight of the country's 230 biggest cities, which were analyzed as part of the study. Here are five of the most diverse big cities in Illinois, ranked by diversity, with their national rank included in parenthesis:
8. Peoria (215)
7. Naperville (186)
6. Rockford (180)
5. Springfield (174)
4. Chicago (32)
Check out the three most diverse cities in Illinois at Reboot Illinois.
Sign up for our daily email to stay up to date with Illinois politics.
- Betcha didn't know these 30 fun Illinois facts!
- Weird place names in Illinois
- House approves bill to decriminalize marijuana in Illinois
- The top 20 most challenging high schools in Illinois
- Want to tell your elected officials what you think of the state of government in Illinois? Use our Sound Off tool.