I am going to be totally honest and say that, no, wedding planning is not all fresh roses and pretty dresses. It can really suck! There are times you will want to rip your hair out, you will want to elope, or even just give up all together.
Before you panic, take a deep breath.
Let me share with you five things that can really suck about wedding planning, and a few top tips to ease the pain.
If you are inviting more than 50 guests to your wedding, RSVPs totally suck. You will become all too familiar with statements like "well, of course you know I'm coming" and "oh, I thought I already sent that to you" or "I told you ages ago I couldn't make it." People just don't understand the process. They don't know about your meticulously planned out spreadsheet and mock table plan. You can't blame them, they just don't get it. It will be frustrating no matter what you do, and you will have to face those dreaded "just confirming your attendance" phone calls at some point. But here are a few tips to try and make as few as possible.
- Be clear on your invitation. Tell them exactly what they have to do, and make the deadline very, very clear.
2. So many decisions!
You will probably never have to make as many decisions in one 12-18 month span in your life than you will when you are planning your wedding. You have to pick people's outfits, hotel rooms, meals, hair styles, nail color, shoe color, gifts they will like, flowers, and on and on. It all falls on you. Every decision you make will impact others that have to be made. It can be overwhelming. But luckily I have some tips.
- Decide on your wedding style/theme at the very beginning and stick with it. Once you have made your choice decisions will become much easier. (for help with choossing your style take the "Find Your Wedding Style Quiz")
3. Never having enough money
Is there ever enough? Even celebrities have a budget -- it might be bigger, but it is still there! I don't need to go on about this one, if you are planning a wedding know exactly what I mean.
I just have one BIG tip for this one: PRIORITIZE! Spend more on the things you really, really want and less on the things that don't mean so much. Easy as that.
4. Time goes by too fast
This is a biggie. Whether it is the planning process or the actual whirlwind of the wedding day, time flies, fast. However, what you will always have is the memories, and those are the things worth holding onto. Here are a few tips to make those memories last forever.
- Create a wedding planning scrap book or journal. Log it all, every happy moment. Include a napkin for the restaurant where he proposed, pictures of you trying on your wedding dress for the first time, one of your wedding invitations, clippings from magazines, whatever is precious to you at the time.
5. Trying to please everyone
Being a bride means everyone wants a piece of you! All of your favourite people in the world- want your time, opinion, decision, yes, no, maybe and everything in between. You want, and will try to be, there for everyone because you love them all. But, before you go cuckoo, or worse, remember these tips.
- It is your day. (Yup, that's all.)
So what is your biggest worry at the moment? Or do you have a top tip that helped you overcome a big problem you were having? Share below and inspire others.