At the risk of losing every single one of my followers and getting a scolding from my mom...
I'm writing this "come to jesus" type piece about what Moms really really want this Mother's Day and every Mother's Day until the end of time. Because as much as we love a bottomless brunch or a "my mom is the best" coffee mug... sometimes ya gotta dig a little deeper to give mama what she really wants.
I'm writing this at 1 a.m. with one child in my bed on my right taking up "my side of the bed. The other child under my armpit which is fine because his head makes the ideal arm rest and a giant beast under my feet to offer some skeletal alignment while I type.
Moms really REALLY want:
- a whole day to themselves to just sleep and watch Netflix and order chinese food that they don't have to share and just stay in bed with no noise except the hum of the television and whatever binge watching madness goes on.
- A clean house. like a spotless house -like the kitchen is stunning with no dishes,counter has no stuck on cucumber peels... nothing... just out of a magazine, the bedroom is totally clean with not a single lonely strewn garment in sight, clean sheets and clutter free dresser, the bathroom is clear of bathtoys, dirty clothes, no toothpaste spots on the walls, a nice smelling candle... and maybe a bubbling hot bath. without kids! Basically I want to be able to walk through my home without stepping on legos, choppiness, spilled yogurt...etc.
- A new closet full of brand new clothes! because your mom clothes have run their course and there are really only so many scarves you can wear to cover up that stain.
- The laundry is DONE... completely done. not a single garment in the laundry shoot or laundry basket. everything neatly in drawers or hangers... done.
- A dinner with my husband. Last year The Mr. did this whole thing where we went to brunch to one of my fave swank restaurants. Not even half way through - my 2 year old started throwing all the ceramic dishes across the room, then he moved on to the cutlery, then he started screaming... because brunch time is not toddler time. The 10 YO was not having any of this either and The Mr. spent most of the meal outside with the 2YO while I stayed inside scarfing down my brunch and chugging my mimosa with a 10-year-old who was negotiating screen time, candy and whatever else.
I need time alone to truly enjoy Mother's Day because guess what... i spend everyday with my little dragons! And cleaning them up and throwing a bow tie on them does not make them any less dragony. i will also see them - the NEXT DAY.... and the day after, the day after...and. the. day. after.! you get my drift. and besides they DONT EVEN KNOW WHAT DAY IT IS... so any day ... everyday is Mother's Day to them!
On Mothers Day... I would like a day off. Total day off. I want a day to sleep, i want to watch TV, i want to write, i want to think, i want an uninterrupted shower and i want to be alone.
I know what you are saying... "how dare you say you want to spend the day without your cherubs, your angels that have been bestowed upon you by the lord god herself... a good mom would never want to spend a day that's meant to honor her and say I Want To Be Alone."
Well let me remind you... that after the good lord our God created the world... on the 7th day... she rested!! I too need to rest! Mother's day is my 7th day!
It's ok to want a day to yourself... it really is. It does not make you any less of a mother... it might make you a better mother because you get to hit the ' refresh' button. and since this is the one time of the year we are gifted with something... why not ask for what you really want!