Entrepreneurship is stressful, but you can manage that stress with these five strategies.
Entrepreneurship is a double-edged sword; you'll have more freedom, more flexibility, and more control over your destiny, but you'll also have more work, more responsibilities, and more pressure to get things done. As a result, entrepreneurs tend to be more stressed than they've ever been in a normal job, but they also have less access to time and resources to reduce that stress.
If you find yourself in such a position, try using these five ways to relieve stress:
1. Get some exercise. If you don't have time to go to the gym for a full workout in the morning, don't worry--just about any physical exercise can help reduce your stress. Try doing some pushups at the office, or going for a walk around the building. Get your heart pumping and you'll feel more energized and less stressed in no time.
2. Force yourself to focus. One of the most stressful parts of being an entrepreneur is trying to manage lots of things at once. To reduce this stress, try limiting yourself to one task at a time. Cut off all other communication while you do this, and don't deviate from your current priority until it's done or you're ready to move on.
3. Breathe deep. This is a good strategy because it can be used in any situation--even while multitasking. Take a deep breath in, counting to five and holding, and a deep breath out, counting to five and holding. You'll be amazed how you feel afterward.
4. Include positive interactive pieces around your desk. Make your desk a place of your own, and since you're the boss, you can make the entire office a place of your own. Fill it with small, short activities like puzzles, pictures, toys, or anything else you enjoy or that reminds you of something positive.
5. Blow off steam with the team. As the entrepreneur, you're in charge of building your team, and you can fill that team with talented, creative, insightful, fun, friendly people. Go mingle with them at lunch or in a game.
You have to make time to relieve stress, even if it seems like you have no time to spare. Otherwise, that stress will consume you and your entrepreneurial journey will turn to a miserable rut of burnout. Stay positive and prioritize your own mental health.
Jose Vasquez is a serial entrepreneur and tech enthusiast dedicated to helping startup technology companies get the direction and momentum they need to succeed. As the founder of Build. Brand. Blast., Jose has established a collective resource for tech entrepreneurs to consult when brainstorming, creating, launching, or expanding a new business. Jose is also the founder and CEO of Quez Media Marketing, a marketing firm that combines technology and creativity to help new and growing companies get the results they need.