The outcome of the election was heartbreaking, devastating, and shocking. It is clear that under this new administration, we will face renewed attacks on our mission.
But mark these words: We will never back down and will never stop providing the care our patients need. We have fought back countless attacks during our past 100 years, and our survival of each attack has made us stronger. We're going to use that strength to fight in the coming days, months, and years - for the patients who rely on us and for our allies across progressive movements.
In addition to the threats we anticipate to access to reproductive health care, we recognize the threats to the safety and dignity of people of color, immigrants, and LGBTQ people--to our patients, our staff, our neighbors, and our communities. We cannot allow the acceptance of institutionalized racism, sexism, and discrimination to become our new normal. We will do everything in our power to fight this hatred.
What can you do right now if you care about Planned Parenthood of New York City and the communities we serve? Try these five things.
1. Sign Up for Emails and Alerts
Join Planned Parenthood of NYC Action Fund's email network to stay on top of the issues and learn how you can support us and our partners. The email alerts will also help you learn how to get involved with local campaigns that advance and protect reproductive health, rights, and justice.
2. Support Our Work
Our doors will continue to stay open to everyone, no matter what. Your support helps so much.
• Donate to support Planned Parenthood of New York City: Our five health centers--one in each borough--are open, and they are continuing to deliver vital, high-quality reproductive health care. We have already seen a huge surge in appointments as New Yorkers are worried they may lose access to birth control. We will always be here for all New Yorkers, and your support helps.
• Learn about Planned Parenthood of New York City Action Fund. Help strengthen advocacy and elect champions for reproductive health and rights including access to sex education; health care; and safe, legal abortion.
3. Tweet Your Defiance - and Follow Us
Show on social media that you reject hate and refuse to let the next president roll back the rights we've fought so hard to secure.
Follow Planned Parenthood of New York City Action Fund on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to stay in the loop on actions you can take to support us and our partners.
4. Speak Out Against Hate
Planned Parenthood of New York City's patients include many of the groups that the Trump-Pence ticket targeted: immigrants, Muslims, and others. They are Black, Latinx, and LGBTQ. Planned Parenthood of New York City's patients come from all walks of life, and they all deserve access to health care in a safe and welcoming place. They also have the right to feel safe in their own communities.
Wherever you are--online or IRL--declare your rejection of hate and your solidarity with the communities Trump has attacked. Show that you believe every single person is deserving of respect, dignity, and equal rights under the law.
You don't have to take a stand alone. There are several local and national groups supporting solidarity with intersecting communities, and building power among the communities that the Trump-Pence ticket targeted:
• Make the Road New York: Help build the power of Latinx and working class communities to achieve dignity and justice through organizing, policy innovation, transformative education, and survival services.
• VOCAL New York: Help build power among people affected by HIV/AIDS, drug use, and mass incarceration to create healthy and just communities.
• New York Civil Liberties Union: Defend civil liberties and civil rights for all people.
• National Latina Institute for Reproductive Health: Help build Latina power to guarantee the fundamental human right to reproductive health, dignity and justice.
• New York Immigration Coalition: Support immigrant leadership and engage in collective action for New York's diverse immigrant communities.
• The Audre Lorde Project: Support community organizing by LGBTQ people of color. "Through mobilization, education and capacity-building, we work for community wellness and progressive social and economic justice."
• National Asian Pacific American Women's Forum: Support civil rights, economic justice, education access, health care access, and immigrant and refugee rights for AAPI women.
• YWCA: Support work to eliminate racism, empower women, and stand up for social justice.
• The Door: Empower young people to reach their potential by providing comprehensive development services.
• Fight for $15 Coalition: Stand with workers who have come together to fight for fair wages and the right to form a union without retaliation.
• Sylvia Rivera Law Project: Help guarantee that all people are free to self-determine gender identity and expression, regardless of income or race, and without facing harassment, discrimination or violence.
• Girls for Gender Equity: Support the physical, psychological, social, and economic development of girls and women.
• New York Abortion Access Fund: Help fund abortions as part of the fight for reproductive justice for all.
• Third Wave Fund: Help ensure young women of color, queer, trans, and intersex youth of color and low-income youth are decision-makers in Gender Justice philanthropy where they are often absent.
• Our100.org: Take a stand with 100 women of color leaders.
5. Get Involved -- Attend Events and Become an Activist
You can support Planned Parenthood of New York City with your time and energy in multiple ways:
• Attend an event we have coming up to show your support and learn about the issues affecting our communities.
• Volunteer: Attend a Monthly Volunteer Night (space is limited) or apply for one of our ongoing health center volunteer opportunities by emailing email@example.com.
• If you're in college, join Planned Parenthood Generation Action and become a leader in the movement.
• Learn more about Planned Parenthood of New York City Action Fund's Activist Council and complete our online application here* to join our February 11 training!
*Please note: There are only a limited number of spaces for trainings.
Of course, these are just a few things you can do now. The opportunities to get involved and fight back won't end here. Not even close. In this time of uncertainty, you can be sure that there will be more ways to take meaningful action in the days ahead.
Thank you for standing with us.