Dear supporters of the anti-LGBT bills (aka religious freedom bills),
Over the past month, our country has seen a few of your states pass these "religious freedom bills." What this really is, is a discrimination bill. PERIOD.
While your bills are concerning, there are some things you need to know moving forward:
1. You do not scare us. The LGBT community is not a stranger to discrimination and injustices. We have learned how to deal with bigots like you, and we are stronger now than ever before.
2. You will not bully us away from the Church. You can say anything you want about religion and try to justify your discrimination, but we will not turn away from the Church. We know that God created everyone with equal value, and that he loves us for who we are.
3. You are no saint. You claim that you're being discriminatory in the name of religion. That's not how religion or faith works. Know that God is not proud of you. He would want you to respect your neighbor and welcome him to the Church.
4. You have no right to tell us how to live our lives. Why is it that you feel so threatened by the LGBT community that you have to tell us how to live our lives? You are not entitled to anything, especially determining how the world works.
5. You are becoming the minority. The world is changing every day. We are making progress and moving forward. You are in a soon-to-be minority group of people who discriminate. Look around you and realize that your closed-mindedness is going to be what hurts you in the long run.
6. You will not win. You're fighting in battles that have already been won. Do you truly believe that you can stop progress? That you can suppress people you don't agree with? That you can discriminate against a group of people? Good luck with that.
In conclusion, I feel sorry for you. Not everyone was raised in an open environment that accepted people for who they are. It's unfortunate that you were raised to embrace hatred, bigotry, discrimination and injustices.
There is hope, though. America is changing and you can't do anything to stop it.
The Gay Catholic
My name is Aaron Jay Ledesma.
I'm from Houston, Texas.