For BRIDES, by Jen Glantz.
If there was ever a time to wear waterproof mascara, your wedding day would be that time. Tears will hit when you least expect them to — and during the moments when you do expect them, like the first look, first dance and even just the first time you see all of your guests in the same place. Here are six stories from real brides who share the unexpected reason they cried on their wedding day.
1. We Couldn’t Find the Groom “I started to panic about twenty minutes before the wedding because my husband was nowhere to be found. I was hysterical when they told me he was missing. Apparently he was missing for a few hours and they finally told me when I had to know that no one could find him. My makeup was all over my face. Finally like five minutes before go-time, he showed up. He was out trying to find my favorite cupcake to surprise me before the ceremony and was stuck in traffic.” —Laura F., 32
2. The Wedding Planner Quit on the Spot “I had quite the crew of high-strung people surrounding me on my wedding day. My mom and my sister were ordering the wedding planner around and I don’t know who said what, but the next thing I know is that she walked out of my wedding and quit. My mom and sister were so angry and yelling, and it just made me feel so stressed. I walked into the bathroom and I cried for a good 15 minutes until one of my bridesmaids turned into the wedding planner and helped finishing getting the wedding set up.” —Carly D., 28
3. When I Almost Didn’t Walk Down the Aisle “There were so many nerves that hit me head-on the morning of the wedding. I was so nervous and just had cold feet all of a sudden, out of nowhere. It was so weird. I almost backed out of getting married and had a cry fest with my maid-of-honor. Finally she told me to just pull myself together and get moving down the aisle. I did and I’m happy about that.” —Hilary D., 30
“I almost backed out of getting married and had a cry fest with my maid-of-honor.”
4. Right Before the First Look — At the Venue “When I saw the room all set up with the flowers and the tables, I cried. I was so overwhelmed. My parents spend about $150,000 on the whole wedding and the room looked just like I imagined. It was the moment I realized I was actually going to have my dream wedding.” —Kelsey D., 27
5. When I Saw Myself in the Mirror “It’s going to sound terrible and also make me look totally into myself, but when I looked in the mirror and saw my whole look come together, I cried a little bit. I was all glammed up and ready to start my day.” —Tammy P., 31
6. Before Our First Kiss as Husband and Wife “When the priest said that we could kiss each other, it was hard for my husband to do that because my face was soaked in tears. Happy tears of course!” —Deb S., 29
Jen Glantz is a “Professional Bridesmaid” and the founder of Bridesmaid for Hire. She’s the author of All My Friends Are Engaged and frequently wears old bridesmaid dresses to the grocery store and on first dates.
More from BRIDES: