There appears to be a glaring conflict of interest in CBS News' review of "60 Minutes" report.
Politico reported Friday that Al Ortiz, an executive producer for special events at CBS News, is in charge of investigating the show's botched report about Benghazi. Ortiz is tasked with investigating the role played by Jeff Fager, the executive producer of "60 Minutes" — and who as the chairman of CBS News, is also his boss.
CBS News said Wednesday that it is conducting a journalistic review of the Oct. 27 report about Benghazi on "60 Minutes." The show came under fire after it aired an interview with security contractor Dylan Davies, who claimed to have been at the U.S. compound on the night of the attack. He had told others that he never made it to the compound that night.
The announcement of a review on Wednesday signaled a change in the network's handling of the controversy. The show had previously said that its televised apology on Sunday would be the last word on the issue.
Last week, Fager apologized for the report, but said nothing about the need to investigate how Davies ended up on air. "We like to think we are perfect as much as we can be. In this case, we were not,” he told Variety. “The most important thing now is that we own it: We made a mistake. We are sorry."