Love is healing. Love is free. Love is natural. Love is a gift. Love is alive. Love is energy! Love connects us all! Do you realize that when you express love or receive love that the effects of those acts can actually shift the chemical makeup of your brain/body or even someone else's'? It's true, brain scientists have the research to back it up. So when we choose to express love in all kinds of ways we are giving the gift of healing to others and to ourselves. Here is a list of seven different kinds of love and ways to express them all.
1) Self-Love: This is by far the the most important type of love! We are often our worst enemy, berating and judging ourselves. How can we be expected to feel motivated if we are not being kind and loving to ourselves -- if anything it makes us feel disempowered. Show yourself some love by writing down something you love about yourself, looking in the mirror and telling yourself that you love yourself or by giving yourself an inner hug and appreciation for something nice you did for yourself or someone else in the last week.
2)Random Acts of Love: Doesn't it make you smile when someone holds a door for you and smiles or lets you ahead of them in a line or when driving in traffic? How about when someone you care about actually tells you that they care about you or appreciate you? Reach out to someone in the next few days with a random act of love and you will feel so filled with love yourself at that act of kindness.
3) Parental Love/Family Love: Even if you do not have a child in your life or someone you are close to in your family -- you most likely have someone that has begun to feel like soul family. Someone very close to you that IS indeed family. Tell someone, a child, a family member or a member of your soul family how much they mean to you. Write them a little note or take time to tell them a few reasons why you are grateful for them. It will fill you both with love. We all love validation and gratitude!
4) Romantic Love: If you have a romantic partner -- remember that first time you knew you were in love. Reflect on how it feels when you are with them and how that love has grown. Do something kind for them -- whether it is doing an errand they aren't crazy about, writing them a love letter or poem, preparing an evening of fun and dinner where they won't have to think about a thing. Do something you know they will appreciate and be grateful for. If you do not have a romantic partner -- why not reach out to someone else who does not. Maybe you know someone widowed, separated, divorced or single for a while. Reach out with a single flower, a note telling them something you love about them. Most of us can all use some kindness and romantic gestures whether or not we are in a relationship.
5) Friendship: When you have close friends they truly do become like family. You experience unconditional love and know that no matter what, you will be there for each other. It is such a beautiful thing to experience close friendship. To open up , let yourself be vulnerable and to share your innermost thoughts. Write your friend a letter or arrange an outing that you will both enjoy. Make dinner together or bring dinner and a picnic basket. Do something you have not done together and make it fun. Friendship is healing to our souls as it allows us to truly be ourselves and let our own souls shine.
6) Love of a Pet/Animal: If you have a pet show them extra love. Give them a healthy treat. Set aside some time with no TV, phones or interruptions and pet them and send them love and your gratitude for being in your life. Pets love unconditionally and reflect back the love you give them. Show them you are grateful for them and all the comfort they have offered in your life.
7) Love of the Planet: Wow this Universe is amazing! We get to witness beautiful trees, flowers, plants, animals of all kinds growing and flourishing. Go to your favorite nature spot and just take a moment and give thanks for being there. if you have plants inside, give them thanks and appreciation for all they add to your home. Turn your head toward the sun and give thanks for its warmth or put your hands on the Earth and give thanks for all it provides. We constantly take from nature in food and resources but how often do we take to give thanks and love to it? Saying thank you to anything in nature helps you feel connected to this big beautiful planet of ours!
I hope these exercises fill your heart with love not only for Valentines Day but way beyond. We all deserve some love and I hope you take some time to recognize just how wonderful you truly are! I am sending you huge blessings and hope that in recognizing just how wonderful you, the people, animals and planet that we live on are, your heart is filled with love!