Hill Harper has been in the acting game for a while, starting his TV and film career in 1992. You know him from his roles in the CSI franchise (CSI:Miami and CSI:NY), Covert Affairs, and films like Tyler Perry's "For Colored Girls".
But here are 8 things you didn't know about Hill:
- His was born Francis Eugene Harper in Iowa City, Iowa, the son of Harry Harper (a psychiatrist), and Marilyn Hill (one of the first African American practicing anesthesiologists) in the United States. He adopted the name "Hill Harper" to honor both his mother and father.
- One of first TV roles was on Fox's "Married With Children" in 1992. He appeared in 5 episodes in the role of Aaron Mitchell.
- He is college buddies with President Barack Obama. While both attending Harvard Law School, the two met on the basketball court and became good friends during their first year as law students.
- He has multiple Ivy League degrees. He graduated magna cum laude from Brown University in 1988, and in 1992 graduated with a J.D., cum laude, from Harvard Law School. He also received his Master of Public Administration degree from the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University. Additionally, he has a few honorary doctorates.
- He is a social and political activist. He is an open supporter of the Democratic Party, and created the "Manifest Your Destiny" founded, a non-profit program that provides undeserved youth a path to empowerment and education success through mentoring, academic enrichment programs, college access skills, and personal development.
- He is a Cancer survivor. While writing his book "The Wealth Cure: Putting Money In Its Place" Hill was diagnosed with thyroid cancer and underwent treatment. He is now cancer free.
- Oh yea, did I mention he is a published author? He has written several books since 2006.
- He is committed to encouraging people to vote in the upcoming elections. He was recently appointed as a national spokesperson for the national Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, and is working to expand access to and safeguard the right to vote throughout the 2016 presidential election cycle.
If you want to know more about Hill Harper follow him on The 8 App, a multi-media storyboard which gives users ownership of their content and the ability to generate revenue and designate it to a charity of their choice.