One of my favorite scenes from the movie Dirty Dancing is when Patrick Swayze says "Nobody puts Baby in a corner." It was a powerful reminder about how we need to stand up and shine. Yet so many of us put ourselves in a corner.
While we know intellectually that anything is possible if we set our minds to it, often subconsciously we hold ourselves back. Until we break through the mental blocks that keep us playing small, we will never realize the success we dream of.
About then years ago when I was attending a World Class Business event, the presenter, Michael Angier, shared a simple model that I will share with you. Be. Do. Have. Success starts first in your mind, is followed with inspired action, then creates the results you desire.
There is so much hype about being more productive, eliminating distractions and prioritizing. While these things are important, if you don't first start with crushing your limiting beliefs, you'll find yourself struggling and working harder than you need to. When you create the success first in your mind, it creates an energetic flow that attracts all the resources you need to make it happen.
In order to better understand what keeps us stuck, I spoke with Anita Myers of InnerScope Consulting, who specializes in mindset coaching for work, relationships, and personal fulfillment. I asked her what the roadblocks are that get in our way.
Anita said "Changing your life can be as easy as changing the stories we tell ourselves. Often, we are our own worst enemy. Our inner critic takes over and tells us that playing small will keep us safe. Creating different results is a matter of identifying these beliefs, transforming them, and confidently moving in the direction of your dreams."
I agree! Stinking thinking is like a shackle that holds us back from living our best life. So how do we break the chains that bind us and free ourselves to fly?
In my new book, "Ignite your Impact" I share some of the habits that have helped me reset my mindset. Here are some practices to help you uplevel your life by creating a higher vision for yourself.
1) Identify your mental blocks. Until you know the stories, beliefs, doubts and fears that are holding you back, you'll never be able to change. Are you afraid of success? Are you worried you aren't good enough? Are you afraid of being judged? Do you feel you have to work hard to create the wealth you desire? If you are unsure, UNSTUCK is a free app to help you.
2) Declare what you'd like to create instead. For example if you have a limiting belief that it's hard to charge what you are worth, you can create a new more empowering affirmation. "I gratefully allow money to be an expression of divine love in the marketplace." Write it on an index card and read it daily. The more you anchor this new belief, the quicker it will take hold.
3) Uplevel your beliefs. Strive to be the best version of yourself and believe it's possible. Arete is an ancient Greek word meaning excellence or virtue. The arete of something is the highest quality state it can reach. Using arete as a principle for living life means that you are focused on the quality of everything you do and experience.
For every area of your life write out a satisfaction level on a scale from 1 to 10 (with 10 being the most satisfied). Career, Financial, Spiritual, Physical, Intellectual, Family, Social. Circle the 3 areas with the least satisfaction. Then ask yourself what could I do to make it a ten?
4) Visualize. Create a dream map. Make a mind movie (Animoto and Mindmovies.com are great tools.) Spend quiet meditative time thinking about what you'd like to create in your life and feel the emotions of having it. Use your sense of smell, touch and sight to truly immerse yourself in the experience.
5) Practice Gratitude. When we appreciate what we have in life we'll be given more to be grateful for. Write in your journal 5 things you are grateful for. Do a daily Facebook gratitude post. Bliss is a free app that prompts you to write your blessings daily. You can find it in Google Playstore for free.
6) Set Intentions and Take Inspired Action. Ask your Higher Self, Universe, Angels, or Source to show you what's truly important for you to accomplish today. I have often said a prayer "You are the master planner. Show me what is important to do today to carry out my purpose and mission.". When you ask for guidance, keep your eyes open for signs, nudges, and ideas that pop into your head. When you ask with a sincere heart, you can get direction on demand for next steps. Make time to listen. Talk a bath, sit in stillness, spend time in nature, take a walk. The guidance will come.
7) Create a morning practice. How you start your morning affects your whole day. It's important to create a routine that supports your success. That's one of the reasons why I am such a fan of The Miracle Morning by Hal Elrod which is one of the bestselling books today! He shares the importance of Life Savers. S=Silence, A=Affirmations, V=Visualization, E=Exercise, R=Reading, and S=Scribing (Journaling). Put it into practice by joining Hal's The Morning Miracle Community on Facebook. I am a member and love the community!
8) Work with a Coach or Mentor. Working with a coach will help you go farther, faster with less effort. It will force you to spend regular committed time to work on your own business development activities. Find someone you look up to and respect. Look for someone you feel a connection to that is in alignment with your beliefs. Try a session with them to see if you click. They can help you upgrade your mindset, set goals, prioritize, brainstorm, and hold you accountable to getting it done.
Dream Bigger and Reach Higher - This is Your Moment to Shine!
In order to do something you've never done, you need to be someone you've never been. These practices will upgrade your mindset and put you on the fast track to success!