Habits. They are so ingrained in us that we do them without realizing it. They are second nature, and we can live our whole lives with destructive and harmful habits, scratching our heads wondering why we aren't happy or successful. We don't even realize that are in a continuous loop of doing the same things over and over again, yet expecting different results.
And while it's not easy to get rid of a bad habit, it is possible to create healthier, better habits, that will make all the difference in our happiness and success.
Here are nine common habits that get in the way of our happiness:
1. Worrying about what others think. Giving a sh*t about what everyone thinks can make you feel so paralyzed to make a decision. No matter what, someone will always be judging you so why not just do what feels right for you? Once you stop caring about what others would think, you will feel freer and make decisions with confidence.
2. Trying to please everyone. Guess what: it's impossible to please everyone! I know I can't. There will always be someone who doesn't agree or nod in delight at everything you do. Once you accept that, you'll feel more confident and learn to listen to your inner wisdom. Ultimately, it's about being in tune with oneself.
3. The need to know "why." Let go of the need to know the "why" to something -- I promise you'll feel more at peace! Sometimes we'll never know the answer or reasoning to something, and accepting that allows you to move forward and not feel stuck. Instead of wasting your precious time wondering "why," accept that you might not ever know and move forward to bigger and better things.
4. Playing by all the rules. Rules exist to keep order, but sometimes, the most beautiful things happen out of order. In breaking some rules, and making your own, you can carve the path you want that works for you and not look back! Some of your biggest successes in life may be a factor of going against the grain and doing things your way.
5. Telling everyone... everything. Do you confide in everyone about your life and decisions? Usually, we do this before making a decision so that we can get others' opinions on the matter. In getting several different points of view, you'll ultimately never entirely feel confident about any decision since it will never feel like your own. Once you stop doing this and make decisions based on your desires, you will completely own your happiness.
6. Perfectionism. Are you a perfectionist? The aim to be perfect will ultimately lead to dissatisfaction. Why? Because nothing is perfect, including ourselves, and always striving for something that's impossible leads to feeling less than, because we're holding ourselves against an unrealistic measure. Embrace your messiness, and realize it's part of your charm in everything you do!
7. Being a control freak. This goes hand in hand with perfectionism, but a need to control every last thing can indeed control you -- and your emotions. When you can't control a situation, significant anxiety can ensue. Try to loosen the mental reigns you have on the things you cannot control, and I bet you'll be calmer, happier, and have more faith in the Universe than ever before.
8. Not creating boundaries. It's so important to create boundaries in your life that work for you. That might mean not saying yes to every single invite, or taking on every last project at work. It might mean distancing yourself from negative people, and choosing to love certain people from afar because they are too emotionally draining. Whatever it may be, creating healthy boundaries is key to your sanity and happiness!
9. Letting fear hold you back. It's downright scary to try something new, take a risk, or make a bold decision that could change your life. But like Jack Canfield said, "Everything you want is on the other side of fear," and it's true! Some of life's greatest and most joyful gifts arrive once we move beyond our fears and go for it!
If you know someone who could use a little inspiration right now, share this with them. What's one new habit you can start creating for more happiness? Share below!
Sign up for my free life and relationships tips and inspiration at my website.