Holiday traditions make the season more festive and give us something to look forward to. I’ll admit that every year without fail, I turn into an overly excited dork when I put up my tree, hang the stockings and throw a little tinsel on my dancing Groot doll. But some things are getting a little tired. For instance, just how many Christmas parties are we expected to attend? I only have one ugly Christmas sweater and, while it’s glorious (Santa riding a unicorn in space!), I can only handle so many of those per season. Also, cookie parties? No offense but I like fitting in my jeans and it’s not as if I’m not going to get to eat any cookies if I don’t go to the cookie exchange. ‘Tis the season for cookies everywhere, after all.
We can do better. We deserve better! So, we teamed up with Verizon to bring you unique spins on classic holiday parties that will revive your tired celebrations. Here are our top nine. Get ready for some stellar shindigs! And remember, whatever way you choose to celebrate, be safe and have a blast.
- White Wine-aphant Exchange: This is just like a white elephant gift exchange, only instead of lame stuff that no one wants, everyone goes home with a bottle of Chardonnay or bubbly. If some of your guests don’t drink, tell them to bring chocolates. Mark my words, there will be a fight over the chocolates.
- So Bad They’re Good Holiday Potluck: Each guest brings a traditional holiday dish that gets a bad rap, like green bean casserole or that crazy JELL-O dish your Aunt Margaret used to make. Add some festive plates, a few cocktails and you’ll have a fun night that everyone will remember.
- Christmas Karaoke: Because you’ve always wanted to belt out Wham’s “Last Christmas” in front of an audience instead of just the dashboard in your car.
- A Very Vintage Holiday: Bust out the Shiny Brite ornaments, the pearls and the martini glasses, you and your guests are about to have a blast, daddy-o! Everyone comes dressed in vintage festive finery. Play old standards and later in the night, try to start a conga line.
- Come As Your Favorite Holiday Character: Your guests can dress as anyone from Santa to Bad Santa to one of the bullies from A Christmas Story. I call Buddy the Elf!
- EX-Mas: Everyone brings an ex. Hey, if you didn’t want them, maybe someone else will. Besides, sharing is caring and they’ll get to see you looking fierce in your holiday best. Revenge! With snacks!
- Have Yourself a Crafty Little Christmas: Picture this: a handful of friends, some good snacks and an evening full of crafting. You can knit presents, make wreaths or work on some killer centerpieces for the big celebration.
- Favorite Things: Raindrops on roses, whiskers on kittens and, of course, all of your friends! Serve your favorite cocktails and ask each guest to bring a wrapped ‘favorite thing’ under $15 for a lovely and inexpensive gift exchange.
- Lumberjack Bash: ‘Tis the season to get cozy with your loved ones. Why not throw on a flannel, put some wood in the fireplace and toast some marshmallows with your nearest and dearest pals dressed as lumberjacks? Beards are optional but not at all discouraged.
Whether it’s a new smartphone to capture all your holiday moments, or the latest wireless gadgets, everyone will love getting the latest devices on Verizon, America’s best network.