People may have differing views about abortion, but nobody can deny the polarization and vitriol surrounding this debate, which has already led to many deaths, the most recent of which occurred at Planned Parenthood in Colorado Springs last Friday. Whether that polarization has been based on religious views or the assertion of personal freedom, it has been non-productive and even dangerous.
We need a real discussion around conscious reproduction and the termination of unwanted pregnancies. Here are some of what we see:
- The abortion conversation has been divisive and polarized. Women have legitimate concerns about being forced to carry through unwanted pregnancies. And fetuses are living creatures with consciousness, which means that they cannot be invisible in the conversation either. Any abortion conversation must take all of that into consideration, and the well-being of all parties must be considered - mothers, fetuses, fathers and abortion providers. We need a national conversation where we come together to do that.
- Abortion is a painful decision in any circumstance. Women and men need to be supported to avoid unwanted pregnancies, and they need real support to make the right decision for them and all concerned in case such a pregnancy occurs.
- The refusal to have legal and safe abortions will inevitably lead us back to illegal and unsafe abortions, which had condemned many to horrifyingly traumatic experiences and sometimes death. This factor also needs to be considered.
- Abortion is currently legal in the United States.
- All incendiary statements against different sides of the abortion debate must stop NOW.
Beth Green is the founder of TheInnerRevolution.Org, host of Inner Revolutionary Radio on VoiceAmerica.com, host of Beth Green TV and co-sponsor of the Campaign to Unite All Movements (also co-sponsored by TheInnerRevolution.Org). The Campaign to Unite All Movements is a newly formed group dedicated to bringing together movements whose focus is fighting for themselves and uniting their efforts to fight for one another and the good of all. Please join the campaign!