After a recent trip to NYC for SpecialGlobe with my 6 and 8 year old children, I asked them both to list their top 5 things. Below were their favorite experiences from the trip.
1. American Natural History Museum -- For a 5 year old boy, the Dinosaur exhibit on the 4th floor is a dream come true not to mention the two dinosaur and fossil gift shops for them to explore.
2. Toys R US Times Square -- Ferris Wheel, Super Heroes, Life-sized T-Rex what's not to love?
SpecialGlobe Tip- If your special needs child has difficulty waiting in the long lines for the ferris wheel just speak to the operator and explain the situation and they will give you front of the line access.
3. The Dinosaur Safari at The Bronx Zoo -- Hop aboard a paleontologist's caravan and go back in time to the land of the dinosaurs. T-Rex, Triceratops, Raptors and Apatosaurus are all waiting for you. Caution...you might get a little wet!
SpecialGlobe Tip - When you go to the Bronx Zoo - If your child needs assistance be sure to go to the Guest Relations building to get an assistance card.
4. The Pizza and Spaghetti and Meatballs at Patsy's Pizzeria -- 79th and Amsterdam on the Upper West side -- This is a great local hangout out with a family vibe! The food is not to be missed!! Amazing!
5. The Lion King at the Minskoff Theatre -- an amazing performance by Disney.
SpecialGlobe Tip - Not a bad seat in the house but if possible, try to grab a seat on the aisle as the animals come into the audience on many occasion. Great fun for the kids!
6. The airplane ride -- for my daughter Eliza, who loves flying, this was one of the highlights of her trip to NYC!
SpecialGlobe Tip -- Be sure that your child has an understanding of what the plane ride will be like before they experience it. There are several good picture books out about planes and flying that might help with the transition before you go. Eliza loves planes so we have gone to the airport several times before, just to watch them take off and land.
7. Horse and Carriage Ride in Central Park -- What a great way to see the park! They offer 20 minute, 45 minute and 60 minute tours. Their most popular is the 20 minute tour. The carriages are all lined up along Central Park Ave.
SpecialGlobe Tip - I highly recommend the 45 minute tour. It is a little more expensive but you get to see more of the park and it gives parents and caretakers an opportunity to take a rest.
8. Eloise at The Plaza - Be sure to go visit Eloise, Weenie and Skipperdee at The Plaza. Stuffies, costumes, beautiful clothes, books and videos. Everything Eloise! They also have a room where you can sit and have a tea party. Lots of fun!
9. The Giraffes at the Bronx Zoo - A HUGE hit with my daughter.
10. Hecksher Playground in Central Park - Central Parks oldest and largest playground -- restrooms, water fountain, lots of different areas for the kids to play. Great on a hot day as there is a water playground area for kids to run through. Soft surfaces to play on in certain areas.