Scientists Dissolve Everyday Objects In Acid, But One Item Surprisingly Survives

Don't try this at home!

YouTube channel “Chemistry Flicks” has been hard at work dousing everyday objects in acid, all in the name of science.

They've coated a host of items -- including fruit, meat, a lab coat, chocolate, and a smartphone -- in chlorosulfonic acid over the past two weeks.

All but one of the objects ended up obliterated. And the substance that survived will probably surprise you.

First up, the channel soaked a banana in the colorless, corrosive liquid:

It didn't end well. Then, they used the acid -- which is corrosive to metals and can cause severe burns -- on a sponge:

The scientists then graduated to larger objects, such as this chicken breast:

Curious as to how the acid, which is very toxic if inhaled, would affect their lab coats if they accidentally spilled it, they tried it out:

Oops! Next, they destroyed an LG Nexus 5 smartphone:

But the one substance that didn't appear to be damaged by the acid was....

Yes, chocolate!

Some commenters lightheartedly suggested that lab coats should be made out of the sweet treat. "It would definitely make science more delicious! Probably sticky too," one of the team replied on the channel.

It's unclear exactly where the scientists behind "Chemistry Flicks" are located. The Huffington Post has reached out for further information.

As Jesse Pinkman, Aaron Paul's character in "Breaking Bad," would say:

Clarification: This article has been amended to better describe what was obliterated.

Popular in the Community