Divorce

6 Things That Helped This Comedian Get Over Her Divorce

Morrissey and pizza are a match made in heaven.
07/20/2015 05:52pm ET
fourfoodfellas.com singapore/500px

If there's ever a time you need a little distraction in your life, it's during the divorce process. That's why we launched our Divorce Care Package series. With each post, we'll show you what things -- books, movies, recipes -- helped others relieve stress in the midst of divorce, in the hopes that a few of their picks will serve you well too. Want to share what got you through your divorce? Email us at divorce@huffingtonpost.com.

Marie Forster admits that she's a classic over-sharer. If something of note is happening in her life, you're bound to hear about it. So when her marriage ended in 2013 after six years, blogging about it -- and later, using the separation as material for her standup comedy -- made complete and total sense.

"Stand-up helped me find humor in the worst situations and brought forth a voice I never knew I had," Forster told The Huffington Post.

Below, Forster, who blogs at Funny Broad, shares a few more things that helped her heal and laugh again after divorce.

The Music
PYMCA via Getty Images
"If you did a survey, I'm guessing bout 98 percent of women would say Gloria Gaynor's 'I Will Survive' gave them strength during hard times. But I'm in the other 2 percent. Depressing music soothes my soul. During my 'Winter of Smiths-content' (as it has now been labeled), I listened to The Smiths' classic album 'The Queen Is Dead' on repeat. The lyrics of the hauntingly beautiful 'I Know It's Over' in particular forced me to think of my relationship and where it failed. This album helped me mourn the loss of my marriage, allowing me to move on in the healing process."
The Food
fourfoodfellas.com singapore/500px
"Pizza. Piping hot, oozing cheese, covered in grease, it’s the ultimate comfort food. Forgot to buy eggs for breakfast? Problem solved: leftover pizza. No time to eat with utensils? No worries! Pizza’s got your back. Don’t feel like interacting with society? Get delivery; pizza won’t judge you. If it were legal, I would marry pizza."
The Show
Facebook
"Without a doubt, 'Bob’s Burgers.' It is my goal in life to be as cool as Linda Belcher."
The Quote
Hallmark
"'The best things in life are worth waiting for.' This simple phrase carved onto the front of a Peanuts figurine stopped me in my tracks one Saturday afternoon while I was wandering around a Hallmark. Maybe it was the slight look of worry in his face or the security blanket forever suspended in the washing machine that made me spend $35 (ouch) to bring him home -- I'm not sure. Placing him on my nightstand, they were the words I closed and opened my eyes to every day."
The Distraction
Marie Forster
"My divorce motivated me to pursue writing and stand-up comedy. Needing a place to vent, I started my blog. Whatever came to mind, I shared -- and people liked it! Then, I received a random message from an old high school friend telling me he was performing stand-up and thought I should too. He didn’t know stand-up comedy was #1 on my bucket list. With nothing to lose, I made the call to book my spot and I haven’t looked back since."
The Splurge
Marie Forster
"There's two things you should know about me: I’m not adventurous, and I don’t spend money easily. Once the divorce was finalized, I had a nagging feeling I needed to go somewhere, anywhere. So, I booked a 10-day solo trip to Costa Rica. Determined to push myself further out of my comfort zone, I decided to try zip-lining. Which...I’ll probably pass on next time."

More from HuffPost:

Comedians' Relationship Quotes

Keep in touch! Check out HuffPost Divorce on Facebook.