“Those who follow him, I’m afraid many of them have been misled,” Gore told CNN’s Don Lemon, noting Trump has claimed the virus would “disappear” and slammed criticism of his response as Democrats’ “new hoax.”
“I feel badly for those who believe that stuff and have not been protecting themselves,” Gore said. “And we still have states that have not adopted the kind of policies that Dr. [Anthony] Fauci and the real experts have advised, partly because they’ve made it kind of a political partisan kind of issue.”
But Gore said he’d rather move forward ― and saw encouraging signs from Trump.
“I think the president to his credit has been moving away from that,” Gore offered. “I think he’s learned that you can’t gaslight a virus. You’ve really got to pay attention to what the scientific facts are.”
He said he didn’t want to trade “potshots” with Trump, but would rather see the president continue to accept the realities of dealing with the virus.
See Gore’s full conversation with Lemon below:
- Stay up to date with our live blog as we cover the COVID-19 pandemic
- When will life return to normal? Europe has some answers.
- Digestive issues might be an early sign of coronavirus
- How to file for unemployment if you’ve been laid off
- Avoiding going to the store? Here’s how to order groceries online.
- What to do if you live with someone with COVID-19
- How often do we really need to wash our faces?
- The HuffPost guide to working from home
- What coronavirus questions are on your mind right now? We want to help you find answers.