Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) hit back at a former congressional Republican candidate who criticized her for playing the video game “Animal Crossing: New Horizons” during the coronavirus lockdown.
DeAnna Lorraine, who this year launched a failed run for the seat of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), took exception to Ocasio-Cortez’s Thursday afternoon/evening foray into the virtual world during which she “visited” supporters.
“Are you kidding me? We’re paying you to play Animal Crossing? OMG,” tweeted Lorraine.
Ocasio-Cortez fired back with a query about the cost of President Donald Trump’s golfing trips. According to a HuffPost analysis, they had burdened taxpayers with an estimated $133.8 million bill as of February.
The cost of the couple hours that Ocasio-Cortez appeared to spend gaming with supporters, meanwhile, is unknown.
The lawmaker did not respond to Lorraine’s later claim that “every president plays golf” or her suggestion that she “go be his caddy sometimes.”
Ocasio-Cortez announced her imminent venture into the online world on Thursday afternoon. She opened the direct message function on Twitter for four minutes so that other players could send the so-called Dodo Code needed to invite her to their islands in the game.
Check out how the visits went down via the thread below:
- Stay up to date with our live blog as we cover the COVID-19 pandemic
- What happens if we end social distancing too soon?
- What you need to know about face masks right now
- Will there be a second stimulus check?
- Lost your job due to coronavirus? Here’s what you need to know.
- Why it takes so long to make a coronavirus vaccine
- Parenting during the coronavirus crisis?
- The HuffPost guide to working from home
- What coronavirus questions are on your mind right now? We want to help you find answers.
- Everyone deserves accurate information about COVID-19. Support journalism without a paywall — and keep it free for everyone — by becoming a HuffPost member today.