Addressing the disproportionate amount of deaths among Black and Hispanic people in the pandemic during a task force briefing, Adams called on minorities to take preventive measures for their “abuela,” “big mama” and “pop-pop” in a plea deemed “condescending.”
Ruffin took serious issue with the doctor’s cry for battling the COVID-19 pandemic. Both the comedian and Adams are Black.
“You friggin’ idiot,” she said in a “Minute of Fury” segment. “You are parroting classic right-wing talking points. If Billboard had a chart of racist talking points, ‘minorities just don’t take care of themselves’ would be No. 2, right after ‘never talk about the real root of the problem ― systemic racism.’”
- Stay up to date with our live blog as we cover the COVID-19 pandemic
- What happens if we end social distancing too soon?
- What you need to know about face masks right now
- How long are asymptomatic carriers contagious?
- Lost your job due to coronavirus? Here’s what you need to know.
- Everything you need to know about coronavirus and grief
- The HuffPost guide to working from home
- What coronavirus questions are on your mind right now? We want to help you find answers.
- Everyone deserves accurate information about COVID-19. Support journalism without a paywall — and keep it free for everyone — by becoming a HuffPost member today.