Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
That message ("Don't let the bastards grind you down") from Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale speaks urgently to us in the wake of the disaster.
We now know that someone can insult and degrade every category of people except white men and be elected President of the United States.
Winners and losers in the 2016 United States Election:
1. Vladimir Putin
2. Right-wing conspiracy theorists
3. White Supremacists
5. Women who believe that they are inferior and should be mistreated
6. Sexual assault
7. Science deniers
8. Authoritarians around the world
9. The 1950s
1. The Planet Earth
2. American values
3. The white working class people who voted for Trump, believing that he actually cares about them and will help them.
4. Women who do not accept the idea they are inferior
5. Latino Americans
6. African Americans
7. Jewish Americans
8. Muslim Americans
9. Asian Americans
11. Common sense
12. The world economy
14. The 1960s
November 8, 2016 now takes its place with October 29, 1929, December 7, 1941, November 22, 1963, and September 11, 2001 as the dates of major national shocks--dates of attacks on the United States. The difference is that this attack was carried out by millions of Americans.
Our nation survived all those disasters, and we'll survive this one, too. Now is not time to give up; it is a time to commit ourselves more strongly to the best of American values.