Anderson Cooper had to go to the tape to believe it.
Trump earlier in the day bragged the U.S. was “in a good place” in the public health crisis, even as multiple states saw a spike in the new confirmed number of cases of COVID-19 and some areas reintroduced lockdown measures.
“Does that sound like reality, that we’re in a good place?” asked Cooper.
“Those are his actual words,” he continued. “I didn’t actually believe it when I first heard it, but it’s on tape.”
Cooper highlighted Trump’s disconnect from reality, hammering the president for pushing people to resume their normal lives while himself living in a “biological bunker” where “not even the sound of your own leading experts” can get through.
Check out Cooper’s full monologue here:
- Stay up to date with our live blog as we cover the COVID-19 pandemic
- 7 essential pieces of relationship advice for couples in quarantine
- What you need to know about face masks right now
- How to tell if you need to start doing online therapy
- Lost your job due to coronavirus? Here’s what you need to know.
- Parenting during the coronavirus crisis?
- The HuffPost guide to working from home
- What coronavirus questions are on your mind right now? We want to help you find answers.
Everyone deserves accurate information about COVID-19. Support journalism without a paywall — and keep it free for everyone — by becoming a HuffPost member today.