Pence, at an event earlier in the day in Waukesha, Wisconsin, praised doctors, nurses and first responders on the front lines of the coronavirus pandemic, describing them as “heroes all.”
Cooper noted the irony of Pence’s comments at an event where attendees flouted government guidelines aimed at mitigating the spread of COVID-19. Most people in the crowd were not wearing face masks, according to local news station WTMY-TV. It’s just one of the multiple campaign events that Pence and President Donald Trump are holding before the 2020 election.
“I’ve got to say, applauding doctors and nurses while simultaneously doing the exact opposite of what doctors and nurses and medical professionals recommend about coronavirus safety guidelines. That takes ― something,” said Cooper.
Check out the segment here:
- Get the latest coronavirus updates here.
- What will life be like once a coronavirus vaccine arrives?
- Everything you need to know about face masks right now.
- What should you still be disinfecting to prevent COVID-19?
- Is it possible you had coronavirus earlier this year?
- Constantly arguing with your partner about coronavirus risks? You are not alone.
Everyone deserves accurate information about COVID-19. Support journalism without a paywall — and keep it free for everyone — by becoming a HuffPost member today.